Saturday, April 15, 2006

Purple Sock...done

My purple socks are done. Look at 'em.
Ok, not all the way done. The one of the left is an example of the "fish toe" problem I had. The pattern called for a figure 8 cast on. That's what I ended up with. Repeatedly. So, I frogged and reknit the toe on the right one. I still have the left to do. Then I'll be officially done.


This is the 2x2 ribbing close up. I had to bind off on a size 10 needle so that there'd be enough room the sock to stretch over my heel.

You can also see the gorgeous color. It's fabu.

The socks were pretty easy. I can now see why people like doing them so much. I have to work on the heel and not getting holes, but that takes practice.

In other news, off to see Dane Cook (hubba, hubba) tonight.

Happy Easter!

6 Comments:

Blogger Sachi said...

Right on! Both to the sock and Dane Cook. His bit on the sound your wheels make in a shopping mall parking garage had me on the floor! (I'm a property manager)

FYI - the figure 8 cast on... once you've got a few rows, you can just go back and tighten stitch by stitch toward your cast on tail. Then, on the very last stitch, pull on your tail and it seals up rather nicely. I think I frogged mine 12 times before I figured that out.

Now, if you can figure out how to put your finished sock post in the right place in the side bar, I'll do the happy dance!

4:33 AM  
Blogger Patwoman said...

Hi! It's Pat from Craftster! Your sox look great. I always end up with big balloon feet sox whenever I attempt them, so I'm always in awe of sock knitters!

Your blog looks pretty cool, btw!

9:17 PM  
Blogger Sunflowerfairy said...

Pat, I'm in awe of lace knitters so we're even.

Starburn, the socks are toe up. It makes it easier to try them on so they fit better. Except for the fishtoe. :)

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you heard of the sewn bind-off? There's a good explanation of it here: http://weebleknits.blogspot.com/2003/05/stretchy-bind-offs.html
It's amazingly stretchy! I much prefer it to binding off with larger needles.

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The reason my socks don't have holes in the heel is because I didn't do a short row heel on my socks. I've found that heel flaps work much better with my feet, and are every bit as easy to do. Eventually I'm going to post a picture of socks I made about a month ago, done toe-up with a short row heel... those didn't turn out so well. And they've got holes like whoa. :(

10:45 PM  
Blogger GypsyOwl said...

I Love the socks. (and everything else as well). I posted about them on another message to you.
Great Blog as well!!!

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home