Thursday, April 20, 2006

Tales of the Harlot

A couple of years ago I started looking online for free knitting patterns. I started reading some knit blogs. Most have ideas or patterns to buy. A few blogs I've become obsessed with....The Yarn Harlot being the main one. I spent a long time on her site that night. Her stories made me laugh. I kept saying to myself- YES! SHE GETS IT!

She wrote a couple of books. I was so excited to learn that she was doing a book tour and that she'd be in my area last spring. I was pregnant at the time. In my first 2 trimesters I was sick. Really sick. The color green that you've never seen before. I was throwing up anywhere between 3-10 times a day. All day. Every day. So I missed her with the first book. The second book tour was in October. I thought, "Hey, I'm due in November I can make it!" It wasn't meant to be. I had started to retain water. My size 7 wide shoes couldn't fit on my feet. Flip flops wouldn't fit. My doctor wanted me off my feet. So I missed her again.

Now it's April. She has a third book tour! Yipee. I can have my husband watch the kid, I'll have a free night out....the store that's having the signing is about an hour or 2 away, but I can do this.

Then I see the date. Now, I've known about the tour for about a month. In the back of my mind I knew that it would take a feat of amazing planetary alignment for me to make it to this signing. The springtime is always a busy time for me. Insane, pull your hair out, crazed madness type of busy.

My husband has Can-Am camp this weekend. He goes every year. He's unavailable.

I'm going to stay with the in-laws for the weekend. My MIL was more than happy to take the baby for the afternoon so I could go up to WEBS to see Stephanie on Saturday. The only stipulation is to be home by 5.

Ok- WEBS is about 1.5 hours north from me. My inlaws live an hour west of me. So it's going to take me 2.5 hours to get back to the inlaws, at least. The signing starts at 2. This will not work.

Ok, she's in Grafton Friday night. I can drop the kid off in the afternoon, drive up and see her. Nope. Traffic in my state is a nightmare on a regular weekday, never mind Friday. It would make a normally 3.5 hour trip into a 5 hour trip.

Bring the baby?? I feel awful doing that to the people going and to the baby. He's a bit of a shy kinda kid. It takes him a while to warm up to you. Put him in a room full of women and he's going to go bonkers. Not to mention he hates the car. He cries non stop in the carseat, squirming, grunting, fighting the straps...pure hell.

I also would be mortified if he started to cry during the talk. I don't want to be that parent. And what's the sense of driving hours on end to leave the talk early???

Ugh.

I'm going to miss her again, aren't I??

3 Comments:

Blogger Sachi said...

It's times like this that you try really hard to think of some sort of innocuous children's medicine that will knock 'em out for a couple hours, huh? Were it me, I'd take the kid. Stay close to a door so that, if crying starts, you can make a very speedy exit until it subsides.

We are, afterall, talking about knitters. Women who knit furiously for other people's children constantly. D'you really think they'd see a baby as a bad thing?

8:02 PM  
Blogger Sachi said...

BTW, you're really kicking butt on your side bar! Look at you go!!!

8:03 PM  
Blogger Sunflowerfairy said...

LOL. My mom did it to us and look how great I turned out! A bit of benedryl before a trip and then- blamo, we were there!

As the night goes on I really don't want to miss her...WEBS is actually sold out, which means I have to see her tomorrow night.

Something tells me she might be back around soon though.

Thanks on the compliment! :) I'm so getting the hang of this thing. I bought a new book today too. Like how the links open a new page?? Go me.

There's still some tweaking- I want to add a photo to my heading, change the size of the font on the bottom of each post...I'm working on it.

:)

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home