Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Anouk on the needles



My cousin's baby needs this dress. The pattern is quick and easy. I love the seed stitch sides. Adorable!

I'm going to work on it through tomorrow, then start the shrug.

I promised the hubs no more buying knitting goods. No patterns, no yarn, no needles. Ugh.

I should use what I have and be happy for it- trust me, no one on Earth is more blessed than I am. I know this. But when it comes to anything knit-related I feel like I need more...stuff. I feel if I was ever to lose everything in a fire I'd be most sad about losing my stash. That's sad. I'd miss my photos too, but those can be replaced.

I buy yarn from different places I go- Salem gave me Silky Wool, that handspun, hand dyed yarn from Florida, Boston gave me the yarn from hell, New York....oh New York....you gave me blisters and yarn that I'll never, ever remember it's name- but it's such stunning yarn!!!

Anyhow, I guess I'm officially on a (not even) yarn diet, but a knitter's (nightmare) diet.

Crap.

Maybe I should go through the stash and reorganize, that way the hubs might see how little I really have.

No, that won't work. He'll just point out what I do have. And how much I have. And what a mess my closet usually is.

No, that will never work.

Oh well. A yarn diet won't kill me.

I hope.

PS. Day 2 of no swift count up. Yesterday we did go over the parts he purchased for it and what their primary function is. Oh ya gotta love being married to an engineer. ;)

5 Comments:

Blogger Sachi said...

If I may interject... I think it's quite important here to point out to DH that, without a swift, you cannot properly utilize your stash and therefore will feel inferior somehow... lacking in a way. So until the swift is done, it's open season.

Maybe, sort of, in a way, kinda?

4:27 PM  
Blogger Laural said...

I hope you get your yarn swift soon. My step-father made me one and he's a woodworker. He installed some ball bearing part to make it spin instead of the washer. Unfortunately I've discovered the need for a ball winder because of this but alas I am on the wagon with you for awhile.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Laural said...

I hope you get your yarn swift soon. My step-father made me one and he's a woodworker. He installed some ball bearing part to make it spin instead of the washer. Unfortunately I've discovered the need for a ball winder because of this but alas I am on the wagon with you for awhile.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Patwoman said...

I can help. Here are some tried and true methods.

When DH says you have enough yarn, just pretend you don't understand the words. What? Huh? What? Eventually, he'll just get tired and go away.

Or, contradict him. Trust me. Men love it when you do this. "You bought more yarn, didn't you?" No I didn't. "Yes, that's new." No, it's not.

Or... Hide it. I have thrown out Christmas gifts and wedding mementos in order to have more space to hide yarn.

Or... Just start a bunch of projects. That way, everything is on the needles. And then, when you find a new pattern you want to try, you HAVE to buy more yarn, don't you? Everything else is for another project.

FOOLPROOF!

9:41 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I've been on a bit of a yarn diet as well. I've walked into the LYS closest to me twice, count 'em, TWICE and not bought anything. I bought some extra dpn for the sock I'm working on, but that like $4.

Though today I contemplated my first silk purchase. Just for a scarf, nothing more. Really.

I guess the knitpicks order counts, eh? I haven't bought anything since I ordered it, so I guess that makes it legit.

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home