Wednesday, August 16, 2006

I'm A Sucker For A Sale.

So this local farm is having a sale. I posted on my local Stitch n Bitch board that I wanted company and one person was brave enough to offer to accompany me and the boy.

Off we went today, 2 moms in the front, 2 babies in the back of her car. Good company, great conversation, good spirited kids. It was a fun day.

The best part was the yarn sale. Ohhhh. You pull up and there's bin after bin of yarn. Ever color imaginable. No seriously, every color. All for $9.00 a skein. Too bad I already bought my yarn for the holidays. I did buy some. (Does anyone ever leave a sale without yarn?? No.)



What's here? 2 sage colored cotton and acrylic mix, 2 natural colored silk, cotton, lamb's wool mix and one cranberry color.

Funny story about the cranberry colored skein- when I first started knitting I bought a skein of yarn and when I learned how to do socks I knit up a tube sock with the one skein. I didn't have enough for 2 socks so I've had just one random sock floating around. It's this same yarn. Now I can make a match! I'm going to frog the old sock, seeing as I now know how to make a heel and all.

And what's this???

Yep. Roving. For free. It's acrylic, but when I start to spin I want to try as much as I can. This is just the beginning of a love affair, I can tell. I also sniffed out a possible used wheel. This is really getting exciting.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sachi said...

I had nothing to do with this! My fingerprints are NOWHERE near that roving.

I'm totally curious about how long the fibers are. Can you do me a favor and grab one "hair", pull it out and tell me how long it is?

5:36 PM  
Blogger Sunflowerfairy said...

Oh, trust me, you had your sticky little fingers all over this.

The fibers are about 4.5 inches. Is that good? Bad?? Long?? I dunno. I thought of you the whole time I was there because she had lovely roving- blues and greens. So pretty.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Sachi said...

You CAN'T blame me! Not little, ol' me!

4.5" is pretty long. You might get frustrated with a light drop-spindle. If you figure out how to "park and draft", you'll do fine. Although I know people who are just beginning and are doing fine with a drop spindle with this length.

Here's another little test for you. Grab a small pinch from the end and give it 1/2 twist then pull. See if it just pulls apart or if it seems to grab and pull more in. What I'm looking for here is how sticky it is. I imagine it might be pretty smooth (which is a source of frustration for me since I'm new). But then again, free is free, for god's sake. If you totally botch the whole batch, I have a feeling it's not going to bother you one bit.

11:35 PM  
Blogger Sunflowerfairy said...

Yeah, it's smooth, but not too bad. And free is free.

I want to avoid a spindle if I can. I'm tempted to borrow one from someone just to see if I like it, but I get the feeling it won't have the same meditative quality that spinning on a wheel has.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great yarn - such pretty colors!!

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home