Sunday, August 06, 2006

Modifications And Ding-Dong Books


This is the bottom edge of Eris. I have to admit that I've had enough of this sweater now and want to move on to something else. But I can't put it down. I tried repeatedly to do the bottom edge as instructed and it looked like crap. Big smelly crap. So after frogging it a couple of times I decided to modify it a bit. It looks ok so far. I have a few more repeats to do, and then I think I'll like it more. I should have gone down a couple of needle sizes, it would have pulled the cable together better. Blocking might do the trick.

I haven't been knitting nearly as much as I'd like, hence the other items I've been discussing. My wrist still stings at times from whatever is brewing there and I'm doing my best to rest it when possible.

And what do I do to pass the time??

Ding-dong books.

When I was 16 I had a friend who loved romance novels. She'd bury herself for hours behind glossy, long haired, muscled Fabio covered books. I never got it. I was too wrapped up reading Ralph Macchio stories in my Tiger Beat magazine to ever pick up one of those books. Then, after another friend was severely injured and bedridden after a car accident, Jen loaned me a bunch of these books after hearing that I was sitting, bored, bedside to this other friend.

After the first book she gave me, I read anything I could get my hands on. Although my tastes have changed I still love reading a good romance. For some reason I decided to pick up the Velvet Series by Jude Deveraux last week. They were the first books I read. They were the ones that started it all. And they are as good as I remembered. :) I haven't put them down!

Now if Diana Gabaldon would just release another Claire and Jamie book I wouldn't be stuck reading books written in 1981. But I doubt she's doing that any time soon. Bummer.

Needless to say, not a minute goes by that Hubs doesn't tease me about these books. Or any of the books I choose for that matter. If it's not a baseball or hockey book he's not really interested.

My wrist does feel marginally better. I feel like I'm never going to get Christmas knitting done though. Maybe I'll just have to suck it up and actually go to the mall this year(shutter).

Got any good authors you are willing to suggest? Let me know! They don't have to be romance, by the way. I love to read anything. Yes, anything.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Sherrilyn Kenyon books are good if you like fantasy/vampire novels. They're vampire novels with romance and smut in them. A healthy amount of smut. I saw one of her books on the shelf and picked it up just by chance and got sucked in for a while. You read a couple of them and they get a little cliche, but they're so bad they're good. Even the titles are cheesy. They're a quick and dirty read, if you like that sort of thing. I've read a little Christine Feehan too, who also does vampire romance, but then I put the blinders on and keep picking up craft books.

After those books I discovered a genre I never knew existed: Fantasy romance novels. Books for geek girls like me that like romance mixed with a little Dungeons & Dragons. The past year or so I've been finding short story collections so I can get a quick fix. There's a lot of them. On Amazon if you look for romance by category, there's a "Fantasy, Futuristic, and Ghost" section and it shows a ton o' stuff.

The Tales of the Otori series by Lian Hearn is a story set in a fantasy version of ancient Japan. It's sort of Harry Potter-ish in that it follows the development of the main character, because he's special ^_^

I might have to start reading fiction again, now that I think about it. I think I need a second job for hobby money.

1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home