Friday, October 20, 2006

15 Plus Years In The Making.

Whenever someone asks me how I learned to knit, I always say that my Grandma Jan was a knitter and although she never sat me down and showed me what she was doing, I'm certain that I picked it up from her.

Knitting is something that I was born to do.

Grandma Jan was an awesome woman. She was my father's mother. Although she was bedridden for many years of my life she was very influential. She taught me manners, how to save money, and how to act like a lady. She taught me how to buy great gifts too. Her generosity was huge. She knit a hat and booties for every baby born in our local hospital. She would make hats and mittens for the homeless.

She passed away when I was 15 or so. I wish I could remember more about her passing but honestly I can't.

I miss her immensely on a daily basis.

Last year I was pregnant. I had my shower a year ago this weekend, actually. I loved seeing all of my friends one last time before the craziness of new motherhood set in. My mother, sister, aunts and other grandmother made it so special. They worked hard for me, the baby and Hubs. I'm blessed.

As I was opening gifts my mother handed me a box. I opened the card and it read, "This is from Grandma Jan".

I immediately started bawling. Not the pretty, dab the corner of the eyes bawling either. Friends who have known me for years have never seen me like this. I could hear them ask each other what was going on. I couldn't talk. I couldn't breathe.

My mom came over and hugged me. She apologized for having me open the gift in front of everyone. She had no idea that I was going to lose it that badly.

I opened the box.

This was in it.





Grandma Jan made my unborn child this sweater. She knew that she would never live long enough to see me married and start a family. It's yellow- she had no idea what I'd have. The buttons are big milky buttons, the same ones she'd have me sort and count to keep me busy when I slept over.

My mom saved the sweater all these years. It survived move after move that my family made through the years. I washed it when I got home and looks like new.

Today I tried it on the Boy and it fits.

I cried.

I miss my Grandma Jan.

I'm going to sit and knit.

10 Comments:

Blogger Mindy said...

What a wonderful story and gift! Now if I can just come up with a plausible reason to be bawling at work. (yeah, it made me cry, I'm sentimental like that)

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely memory & gift to have. I was also very close to my grandmother- learned so much from her about living a godly life- its been over 18 yrs & I still miss her.
I had to laugh at the bawling part-I am unable to look pretty & cry at the same time; I get the whole red eyes, nose running, splotchy face thing.
I wandered over from Blog Explosion & would like to come back for a little more exploring; drop by my garden if you feel so inclined- the gate is always open (I really ought to get that thing fixed one of these days)

5:02 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

That is SO sweet. I'm sorry it made you cry, but I'm glad you were able to share it.. I would love to be able to give a gift like that, someday. Such forethought your grandmother had!!

Thanks for sharing the story, and showing us the gift. :-)

6:28 PM  
Blogger Sachi said...

Waaaaahhh!!! I don't normally get all choked up over stories but this one has me sobbing. What a beautiful thing.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Sara M said...

wow, I really wish I could have met her

8:56 PM  
Blogger Deenz said...

Oh my gosh...I think I might have lost it too (the only grandmother I ever knew died when I was 9)...I love that she had that foresight.

1:25 AM  
Blogger www.stepherz.com said...

Goosebumps, tears, sniffles. What an awesome story! What a wonderful gift from your grandma!

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I shared this with my mum by email and we both have tears. What an amazing role model and what beautiful gifts she gave you.

Many blessings.

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful thing of your Grandma to do! You have a beautiful jacket to remember you of her. The story made me cry and think of my on grandma. She still lives and knit every day. I'm so grateful for all the things she have thought me.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

What a wonderful story! The sweater is lovely and I'm sure it looks wonderful on your son.

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home