Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Introducing...

My new Fricke wheel.


It spins beautifully. It's shiny and new and sings. I love it. Maybe I still have a bit of beginner's blinding love (and I'm sure it will pass after getting really frustrated at it....which I'm sure will happen soon.) But I do love it.
This is the offical first yarn. It's sad, disgusting, unusable, thick, thin and everything inbetween.

But, you know what?

I adore it.

I can not wait to get better at this art. I'm having issues with too much spin on the yarn, and not enough take up, like I spin too fast for the bobbin or something. I dunno. Practice, practice, practice.

I went to bed last night and all I could think about was the hummmmm of the wheel, the way my fingers tingled, imagining the treadling.....heel toe heel toe....

I've been bitten.

Hardcore.

**Special thanks to the guys at Twist of Fate Spinnery. They got me the wheel, put the baby together, taught me to spin, laughed with me at my mistakes and were very, very patient with me. I highly recommend them- the roving they gave me is soft, the customer service was great... thanks Jeremiah and Rick.**

8 Comments:

Blogger Sachi said...

Lady, that is TOTALLY usable!!! Remember my "art-yarn" hat?

6:23 PM  
Blogger jennsquared said...

Beautiful! Beautiful! Beautiful!!! LOVE YOUR YARN! :) and your wheel of course! I think that's the best kind fo yarn! I'll show you my yarn that I PAID for thick and thin!!!

10:05 PM  
Blogger Sara M said...

YAY! (squees) New spinner on the webs! Congrats!

3:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!
I bet if you die that yarn a funky color with some kool-aid, you can pass it off as art yarn, and nobody will know the difference!

11:57 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

cherish that first yarn - it's like your own collinette point five ;)

Believe me - I can't spin thick and thin anymore to save my life! LOL

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should never say its unusable, you can *always* use it for something. I say this, but my first yarn was on a spindle and looked more like slightly twisted and lumpy roving and I have no intention of using it for anything.

Congrats on becoming a spinner, its totally awesome!

7:44 PM  
Blogger chipper said...

Congrats on the new wheel! and I agree with everyone else, that yarn is totally usable! Enjoy all the practice! :)
--Chipper from craftster

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a think of beauty. I hope your new wheel gives you many hours on enjoyment.

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home