Friday, January 05, 2007

Ever Hear The One About...

I was not what you'd call a model student in high school. The first two years I was so wrapped up in my head that I couldn't (or wouldn't) do school work. I got C's and D's, except for English which I got A's in. My junior and senior years I worked harder and the grades rose drastically. I wanted to go to a photography school. I remember going to my guidance councelor and asking him his opinion. He looked straight at me and said that I wasn't smart enough to get into college and even if I did, I couldn't afford it.

Why is it, when someone says something to you like that, that it sticks in your brain for a long, long time?

When I got my grades I was shocked to see that F. All of the sudden I could hear that man in my head laughing.

I KNEW that I got an A in that class.

Last night the Dean of Students, the assistant to the Dean of Students, the records department, the head of the science department, and the instructor all called to apologize for the mistake.

Yeah, once the craziness died down I sat down and celebrated with a cold Magners Hard Cider.

I got straight A's this semester.


*As a side note, the guidance couselor was half right- I got into the school, but I couldn't pay for it. So I never went. But I did get the satisfaction of marching into his office, slapping the acceptance letter on his desk and seeing the look of shock on his face while I did it.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god, did you go to my high school?! And have my very same guidance counselor?! Thank you for posting the side note. You should have stapled that letter to his face.

And a big congratulations on making straight A's! :D

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gah, that's awful about the councelor! What an ass.

But congratulations on the straight As! I never had any doubt that the F was a mistake.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Mindy said...

Yippee! Great job on the straight A's.

And I thought I had a bad counselor -- there was no counseling but I think that might have been better than what you got.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Deenz said...

Holy crap - that's some mistake. At least it was an easy fix and they didn't give you a hard time about it (like make you bring in all your graded papers or something).

Stupid guidance counselor. I'm glad I never really consulted mine, lol.

5:20 PM  
Blogger www.stepherz.com said...

Yayy! I'm so happy or you; it's hard to do well in school when you are also balancing family. Good for you!

I'm also happy to hear that you, even at such a young age, went back to that jerk and stuck up for yourself. I didn't learn how to do that until very recently.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Sara M said...

Good on you ^_^

3:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog, Heidi! And congrats on the grades -- you worked hard and definitely deserve them.

See you at Monday's SnB...

8:27 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

Straight As... Rock on!

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home