Saturday, February 10, 2007

Friends, I Need Advice.

This is pretty important.

Ok, my cousin is getting married. I'm excited for them. It's the first cousin to get married. He's been with his fiance for years and years. I know they are happy. Anyways, his fiance is great and I really want to make something for her wedding.

A shawl is the best idea that I can think of. They are getting married on a Friday night in July and the reception is on the beach. Perfect shawl weather, if you ask me.

I asked my aunt(not his mother) and grandmother what they thought of a shawl. Both of them thought it was an awful idea. They came up with a bunch of reasons- that no one wears shawls, she wouldn't appreciate it, it wouldn't go with her dress, etc.

I asked his mother and her eyes lit up. She thought it would make a beautiful heirloom. My aunt said she wouldn't be picky and to do whatever I thought would look good with the dress.

So, I ask, do I do all the work of a lace shawl and take the chance that she won't like it? I have no problem with her not wearing the day of her wedding. I've been a bride and I know first hand what it's like to have something given to you that you love, but it doesn't go with your vision of your day. I'm ok with that. What I don't want is for her to tell me that she loves it and throw it away.

Should I ruin the surprise and call her and ask her about it??

And, what about color? Her dress is ivory. I can't find ivory fingering weight yarn that comes in larger size skeins. Ideas? I need something that isn't too expensive, as I want to give them a "real" gift too.

What's your opinion? Any stories that would help me make my decision??

Thanks.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I think that's such a lovely idea! Your aunt and grandma are cuckoo - lots of people wear wraps at weddings. And a handmade shawl would be an amazing gift, whether she wears it for the wedding or not.

I wouldn't try to match her dress. There are so many shades of ivory, I think you'd have to dye it to get it even close. Instead I'd suggest finding out her wedding colors (if she has any) and using one of them, perhaps a paler shade.

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think a shawl is a wonderful idea! Depending on her/their heritage I think it could be really special and meaningful to make a shawl based on the traditions where they are from (faroese, shetland, etc) and give a card with the gift that explains the traditions, background, etc. A for yarn...I've made a couple shawls from knitpicks alpaca cloud which is nice but very fuzzy. I just started one with 80% silk/20% cashmere which is yummy, but I don't know where it came from. There's some Shetland cobweb-weight wool that looks really nice at kpixie as well, 1000 yards for $12! Can't beat it. Good luck and can't wait to hear what you decide!

6:58 PM  
Blogger Palindromes said...

What about the garter??? It is small, kept forever and if the color is off no one will notice.

I do like the shawl idea but I would ask the bride. Has she seen your other work??? If she has she will be so happy to receive such a gift.

7:26 PM  
Blogger www.stepherz.com said...

What a fantastic gift idea! I think it is realistic to be prepared for her not to wear it on her wedding day, but it would make a beautiful heirloom and I would bet she'll have it forever. I would make it ivory because if she does wear it with her wedding dress, it will go nicely, but if she doesn't wear it that day, ivory goes with everything else she might wear on different days. I picture something heirloom as an ivory or light beige, but that's just the color I'd like if I were her.

I don't think you should ask her about it-- it spoils the surprise but also it may make her feel like she'd hurt your feelings if you make it and she ends up not wanting to wear it on "the big day." I'm just putting myself in her shoes, that's how I'd feel. She is more likely to wear it if you can make it to her liking though, so that's a hard call.

I think it's going to make a beautiful gift, made from the heart.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Sachi said...

I thought it would be a bad idea when I first read this, only because it'd tough to match ivories. But, after reading Annika's comment, I think it's a smashing idea.

May I suggest DK or sock weight and an easy pattern? Any non-knitter is convinced it's much more difficult than it really is. She'll be impressed with any amount of knitting.

11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should ask her about it. Better to make her something she'd like and want than something she wouldn't. Especially with all the work involved.

Also, you don't want her to feel some subtle pressure to wear it on the day of her wedding if it doesn't fit her vision. (You might tell her, "no pressure," but that doesn't mean she won't feel it.)

Plus, asking her doesn't ruin the gift -- it takes away the surprise, but not the from-the-heart knitting you want to do for her.

Good Luck!

6:32 AM  
Blogger jennsquared said...

I think it's a beautiful idea! I would love a shawl for a wedding gift! Even if I won't wear it during the big day, I would probably wear it all other time though :)

7:56 PM  
Blogger Baby Beth said...

I think the shawl is really a lovely idea. Especially since the wedding will be on the beach. My sister got married on the beach and I would have liked to have a shawl! I so also like Judy's idea about the garter but that requires measurements. I say make it, (I like Annika's idea of using one of the wedding colors) and hope for the best.

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The shawl would be nice but, what about the the Wedding Afghan? This way it can be given to both of them and not just to her.

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My bff knit a wedding present for me and hubby. It's a cabled afghan in a bluish/purple wool yarn. I thought it was such a thoughful present, because it's something we can cuddle under and both enjoy! I think a shawl would be lovely too, but I feel like something they can both use is a nice symbolic gift for a wedding.

Katherine (Katybug)

PS come by my blog, if you get a chance! I'm going to post a pic of my stash in a few days, and you might recognize some things there ;)

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home