Monday, April 30, 2007

"Is This Cable Plying?" Aka- Long Post Full o' Photos and Fun.

I have no idea where to begin.

The CT Sheep and Wool fest is tiny, but packed with fun goodies.

I hung out with friends. L to R: Rebecca, Suzy, and blogless Emily:

There were animals:
Yes, these are indeed oxen. And they are foaming at the mouth. Wouldn't you let your kid get up close to them??? No, me neither.

We saw sheeps:
And purchased yarn that I've been yearning for:

(Jagger Spun Zephyr in Admiral. *drool*)




I purchased some merino/silk and merino/tencil roving:

And a bump from the blessed Grafton Fibers (soooo buying more next weekend):

Rebecca and I brought our wheels to a plying workshop. That's where the quote above comes in. My wheel was giving me "lip". Nothing like being a new spinner and having your wheel give you trouble while 12 people look on. Once I took a few seconds to breathe, I remembered that I haven't oiled my wheel in a couple of weeks. Mental note for next time: my wheel likes oil. So we start the plying class. The teacher hands me a ball of spun roving and says to ply it. This is what I get:
I have so much twist on it that it curled up on itself and made a mess. Once I got that done it looked beautiful.

I also learned how to navajo ply. Oddly enough, I picked that up like it was nothing. This is what I ended up with:
The teacher and Rebecca were patient and sweet to me. I love that about spinners.

We came home and I found these waiting in my mailbox. Yeah, more yarn. Thank god Hubs didn't find it, lol. From Mystical Creation Yarns:

It's the same yarn that I made Nickie's shawl out of and I had to have some of my own. Get some too. It's luscious. Embarrassingly enough, the colorways aren't noted and I have to email them and ask because I don't know what's what. One should be tencil and one should be merino and silk. Or one should be silk and the other merino and tencil. I don't know. That's bad.

Sunday I helped my mom at her booth at the Meriden Daffodil Festival. I saw people that I haven't seen in years. I saw an exboyfriend sing a few songs. Best of all, my mom sent me home with soap! Check out her site: Lovely Lathers.com

I also made a promise to myself that I would spin 20 minutes a day. So yesterday I spun mystery wool:

And my Lotus Blossom Tank is done. It fits beautifully. I will totally make this again.


I have some good news. With the help of the ever-so-creative Lilith Parker, I've opened a cafepress store. I'll be adding a couple of new designs, but for now check out the one that's up.

http://www.cafepress.com/sffknits

Please keep in mind that it's in the beginning stages of opening. Lilith and I will keep working to get it looking better.


The money made from the cafepress store will go towards more yarn. And yarn-like trips. Maybe a spinning retreat. I dunno.

Buy a shirt, will ya?

Or at the very least, you can tell me (and Lilith) that you like the design.

Thanks

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Everything is awesome!!

8:56 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Wow, the Lotus Blossom Tank is stunning. I just found your blog...is this a pattern of your own design? Also like the monkey design on the t-shirts. I barely have time to knit so I'm envious you know how to spin. I just started a blog (not a "native" but an "immigrant" to blogging and html): http://woolgatheringofyarn.blogspot.com

9:09 AM  
Blogger Mindy said...

Wow, great haul!

The t-shirts are cute.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Well, I think you are absolutely right to yearn for Zephyr! It's lovely to work with and blocks like a dream. It looks delicate, but the silk makes it strong too.

Great fiber acquisitions. I would love to take an anything-spinning workshop but am sorting it out on my own so far.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Sunflowerfairy said...

Hey Laurie, it's not my design (I wish). It's from Interweave Knits Summer 2006. You'll see it in blue on the cover. I drool over this entire issue, by the way. :)

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home