Friday, April 13, 2007

Onward.



I started a new project. I was going to wear Liv for Easter, then Maryland Sheep and Wool. The sweater is too big, I missed the Easter deadline, and I realized that the gawd awful 38 degree weather isn't going to last forever.

So I'm using the leftovers from Liv to make the Lotus Blossom Tank from Interweave Knits. Almost done with 1.5 repeats already.

And I need to switch gears for a minute.

A couple of years ago I decided to make an expensive purchase on a knitter's handbag. I loved the look of it, the idea of it, the style of it. I hemmed and hawed over the price, which seemed astronomical to me. Not being one for fashion or accessories, I had no idea what designer purses went for. I looked on line to see if I could find something comparable. I didn't. I bought the purse.

I loved this purse. I was happy with my purchase. It was roomy, held all my knitterly crap, I loved it.

Flash ahead a year and a half. The Boy is born, he grows, he has baby needs that as his mother I need to provide for. I used this bag as a diaper bag when the other bag was too bulky to carry- say, when we were travelling and the diaper bag was packed and we'd go into a restaurant-then, I'd put some of his stuff in my bag, leave the diaper bag in the car.

So, one day, I have formula in my bag. It's sealed, or so I think. We sit down, I smell something funny and realize the formula has spilled in my bag. Soy formula, black knitting bag. Ew.

I run to the bathroom, empty out the purse (no knitting was harmed, just a half-eaten chocolate bar and some tampons, not a big deal) and clean, to the best of my ability, out my purse.

It still smelled like dying fish pooh.

I email the designer of the purse. She kindly emailed me back to do exactly what I did.

I emailed back thanking her for a quick and kind response, but it still smells and now what.

It's been almost a month and no response.

I paid $80 bucks for a Jordana Paige knitting purse that is ruined.

I'm heartbroken.

So I bought a new purse, on sale for 20 bucks at Target. Works just as well. Looks just as good.

I'm not sure what I'm trying to accomplish with this post. I don't like that a very expensive purse can not be cleaned, other than spot cleaned with water.

And I certainly don't like being ignored by retailers when I have an issue.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try putting some characoal in the bag and leave for a couple days, characoal should absorbe the odors, it works for smelly sneakers. Hope this helps

4:00 PM  
Blogger Stephieface said...

Its always been my belief that expensive things aren't always better, but we are taught to believe that things are better because they are expensive.
My knitting diaper bag is awesome, its a weekender bag and its freaking huge (and was only $14)... just in case though, I always keep my knitting in those plastic zippy bag that sheets come in.

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home