Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Rain

Yesterday was an immensely overwhelming day for me. We noticed water in our basement on Sunday and we're were unsure of what we'd find when we woke on Monday. After a restless night's sleep we woke to a few inches of water. Some things were destroyed-nothing of large monetary or sentimental value, but it was hard work for Hubs to get the basement dry.

I had to do some running around, mostly driving to the MIL's house for a de-humidifer and errands. Roads everywhere had been flooded, detours took me to new places. Although I couldn't really stop to take in the view, there were beautiful cascading waterfalls in places that were typically dry as a bone.

I passed by multimillion dollar homes, which normally had gentle bubbling brooks running through their properties. Yesterday it looked like the homes were being overrun with murky, brown flood water.

The rain is going to continue for the rest of the week.

As a child I hated the rain. It meant that I was stuck inside. I wanted to be out in the fresh air, playing with the neighborhood kids.

I remember mentioning that to a teacher once who replied that the rain is just nature's way of giving the Earth a bath, a method of cleansing herself.

After all the running around I had school. I was late from the detours and traffic. I walked into school to an eerie quiet. Usually there's people talking and yelling, telling stories and trading greetings.

I'm sure by now everyone's heard of the shootings in VA. It leaves me scared for this country, the children specifically and society in general.

I'm positive that there's no emergency plan in place at my college or if there is one, I have no idea what it is or how it's implimented.

I watched Henry Rollins' tour/talk in Israel a few days ago. He commented how the midwest is cushioned and protected by their own ignorance. Is that bad? It is bad that I don't want to watch the news each night, because when I do it makes me that much more frightened to leave my house?

I have no idea what drives a person to get a gun and shoot other people. Is it depression? Is is a psychotic disorder? Is it just them acting out?

Without going into my whole sob story, I've been though a lot in my life. I had a tough childhood, and the scars still remain. But I knew I wanted a better life for myself. I knew I didn't want to be similar to the people who hurt me. I got an education, a job, therapy, a stable life. I would never raise my hand to hurt another.

Why can't the rest of the world do the same?

I don't want The Boy to ever see the violence that I've seen. He will, I know. It is unavoidable in today's society. And with all honesty, it's getting worse.

Sometimes I think Mother Nature is no longer producing rain for cleansing, but crying tears of pain.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sara M said...

Some people are broken by their lives, I think. Or they just don't care. I don't know. I think we, as a society, are years away from understanding it.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Archiknist said...

In my previous job I often had to ask towns, college, museums, etc, about their disaster plans, and it wasn't very reassuring. For example, many, many towns in this area still have plans that focus on a nuclear attack by the Soviet Union!

7:22 PM  
Blogger Zarzuela said...

Well said. I think this tragedy unfortunately speaks volumes to the horrendous state of mental health care in this country. The kid obviously needed help and next to nothing was done for him. Very sad indeed.

Jessica

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home