Friday, August 03, 2007

I Could Cry.

I went to block the shawl last night. It was perfect- The Boy is at Grammy's house, the house was quiet, I could sit in his room and stretch it to perfection, then relax as it did it's blocking thing.

As I sat on his freshly vaccumed floor, I realized that something wasn't right. I couldn't pull my bottom point taunt without the left side moving. "That's not good," I think to myself.

I sat there for almost an hour trying to pin it out. It wouldn't work. I wasn't getting the pretty points that I love so much, the center seam was wonky....

My problem? The bind off is too tight!!!

I went up 3 needle sizes, I did a "stretchy" bind off like the directions stated.

This thing hates me, I swear.

Now what? The wedding is tomorrow afternoon. The Boy comes home today. I have no time to pull it apart and reknit....I could make time, but I think Hubs is sick of me using this project as an excuse. I could wear it half-assed blocked and pretend like it's supposed to be like that. I could wear another machine made shawl....

Opinions?

PS. I going to see the Harlot tonight! EEEEEKKKKKKKKK!

3 Comments:

Blogger Archiknist said...

That sucks. I have that problem too--I seem to have the tightest bind off in the world.

How does it look if you block it without points for now, wear it tomorrow, then go back and cast off again (using an even bigger needle, or an even stretchier bind off--what stretchy bind off does the pattern recommend?) after you've caught up on other life stuff. I have a shawl that's nowhere near as pointy as I wanted it to be, but objectively I suspect it probably looks fine--no one knows I was disappointed by the non-points but me.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Sachi said...

OMG, seriously? You can totally work on this while you're meeting the Harlot. And from personal experience, take the thing with you everywhere. Sling a bag over your shoulder so that you can fiddle with it at odd moments. In the bathroom, sitting at a red light (I did NOT just encourage that). I did exactly the same thing the other night (the binding off too tightly part) but I caught myself when I was only an hour into the bind-off. (Knit length-wise)

11:22 AM  
Blogger Sachi said...

Oh! And steam blocking is your friend. Steam block and then use the hair-dryer on low to dry it out. It'll be done when you need it.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home