Thursday, October 11, 2007

Because Nerdie and I Live The Same Lives.

Oh Nerdie...when I read about your accident the other day on your blog, I knew I had it coming to me too.


There are times when I read your tales and laugh, either because I recently went through similar experiences or I'm about to.


Well, the accident I could have lived without.


I'm a nervous driver to begin with. I'll admit that. Connecticut drivers are very fast and not too courteous. They have no problem tailgating, swerving, and then cutting you off as they give you the finger, as if it's your fault that you aren't doing 80 mph in a 25 zone like they wanted to. I'm aware of this, and I tend to be very, very pissy whenever I'm tailgated for any reason. I fear getting hit from behind.


So this rainy afternoon, I'm heading home from dropping off The Boy at half way meeting point between nana's and our house. I hit traffic the whole way home. I'm about 3 miles from my exit on the highway, excited that I get to unwind and have a glass of wine before my exam tonight.

Up ahead, I see breaklights. Behind me I see a huge red SUV swerving and tailgating others. He passes me on the right, but traffic up ahead is slowing in his lane so he slows with it, but then cuts quick behind me. I slow to a stop, he comes up close. I get back up to around 20 mph, he tailgates me the whole time, backs off, then speeds up, backs off, then we start to slow and all the sudden- whap! He hits me.


I have NEVER seen such red anger in all my life. I pulled over, got out of my car screaming and flailing my arms like an idiot. I'm sure it was funny to watch. But I was PISSED!


I knew he was going to hit me. I knew it.

He opened his door and got out, asked if I was ok. I said yes and screamed, "What the fuck?? You hit me."


He looked me straight in the face and said, "Someone hit me first."


Trust me when I say that no one was going faster than he was on that highway. No one else stopped, no one else was involved. He bold faced lied to me.


I looked right back at him and said, "Yeah, well where is he?? Way to take responsiblity for yourself, asshole. I'm calling the cops." I might have even called him a dick or fuckface, although I can't confirm it.

I called the cops, who showed very quickly. The sargent who responded was very sweet and after running all the info, said that since no one was hurt and there was no damage to either car, then it's not considered an accident, but he'd put all the information into his computer and if I felt ANYTHING tomorrow or even 6 weeks from now, then to immediately go to my doctor and call him and let him know that I'm hurting. He provided me with his name, phone number and badge number, plus the case ID. He made me laugh and take a deep breath. He made me get out of the rain, even though I insisted that I was ok getting wet. After quite a few minutes of waiting- like 20, I was told that I could leave. I looked at him and said, "Ok, what about that guy?"

He said that he had some paperwork issues, but besides that, he couldn't do anything else, but he would definately give him a few words. I told the sargent that I normally would have had my son in the car. Please remind him of that. The officer glanced at the back of my car- no car seat because I gave it to my mother in law- but he saw the toys, looked at me and said, "I'll make sure he's aware of that and more for you. Be safe."

He moved his cruiser into the road, blocking traffic so that I could safely get out. I'm sure there were many, many people just trying to get home on a chilly, rainy day and that accident delayed them.

My car is fine. Like I said, it's raining so maybe there's scratches that I can't see. Hubs knows there was an accident, but he has to work late tonight and there's a hockey game, so tomorrow morning I'm sure I'll have to go through his overly thorough investigation of his beloved car.

I got lucky today. I know this.

Nerdie, can you hurry up and win the lottery already??

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about the accident, but I'm glad you're OK! (And I'm really glad your son wasn't in the car.)

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! It's all my fault! ;)

I'm so sorry, sweetie, but also grateful that you don't appear to be hurt, and that the car doesn't appear to be damaged. (((hug)))

Oh, and I'll get right to work on that lottery thing. ;)

12:41 PM  
Blogger Gauss said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this! Even if you are feeling Ok, you should still have a check-up; there might be invisible damage and you don't want to have long-term problems.

My mother was in an accident a few weeks ago; the car was totaled, but she wasn't hurt at all. Cars and things are replaceable; what matters is that you are not hurt.

Oh, and sorry to hear about the Boy being so allergic to all dogs. Is he Ok with cats?

2:11 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Sorry there was an accident. Happy that your child wasn't with you and you were able to drive away. I also hate driving in traffic because it seems here in California, there are many of the same people who act like they are owed some special treatment of being able to put others in danger.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh...I hate idiot drivers like that! Especially when there's traffic, like tailgating someone is really gonna get them where they're going any faster!
Glad you're ok though.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

I'm so glad you're okay, and that your son wasn't in the car. What an idiot. And he probably really thinks it wasn't his fault, because, you know, he's special. I have gone ballistic a time or two for similar reasons, and it's always some 40-something guy who thinks the world should just bow down to him. Here's to the lottery idea!

3:20 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

What a story! How fortunate your son wasn't in the car. I hope you had that glass of wine when you got home.

Sounds like Connecticut drivers are as bad as Massachusetts drivers. :-(

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home