Saturday, December 15, 2007

Gift Giving

So Hubs and I exchange holiday gifts every year.

Some years have been fantastic- he gets me exactly what I wanted, it's perfect and I love it.

Some years...not so much.

The not so much years have been awful. He was depressed, I was down or we just we're connecting on any level. I thought he should know what to get me, he thought since I didn't tell him what I wanted, that I wanted nothing.

All around confusion. To make matters worse, I feel like holiday time is the perfect time to show how much you care about someone, to say thanks for everything they do for you. Hubs thinks it's just another time to be tortured in a crowded overpriced mall, buying crap you don't want or need. Romantic, isn't it?

To avoid the confusion of what to get me, I make a list. On my list includes everything- sizes, colors, stores that item is located, everything.

I made him write up a list for me. Usually he's tough to buy for- when he wants something, he gets it. That doesn't leave me a whole lot. This year he gave me a pretty comprehensive list and it makes life so much easier.

Anyways, the Fed ex guy did come yesterday, along with the DHL guy and some other delivery person. I was a good girl and didn't peek at all. (I might have checked the labels and shaken each one.) I have some clue that I'm getting what I need- a new gym bag (because I told Hubs that I'll be divorcing him if he doesn't get me one) and an ipod- because my ipod is dead as a brick.

I'm looking forward to the next couple of weeks. I'm anticipating getting gifts, but even more excited to give them. For the first time ever, I think I might get a reaction out of my father in law with his gift. (Hubs comes from a long line of men who buy stuff when they need it- impossible!)

I can't wait to decorate my house. I have no idea why we're putting it off, other than The Boy and his sticky, tricky fingers.

For all the dread I used to be filled with at this time of year, this holiday season is coming together so well. I can't wait to see The Boy open his gifts on Christmas morning....isn't that what it's about...the next generation renewing the holiday spirit? I think that's part of it. And I can't wait.

4 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

You are saying what we know: tis better to give than receive. I remember thinking I was really a grown up the year I was more excited about watching others open their gifts from me than I was about anything I was going to get.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Marla said...

The Boy is at the age where watching him open his gifts is going to be so much fun.

Chris is kind of easy to shop for. I start making mental notes in August of things he likes. By the time Christmas comes, he's forgotten about the item. So it works out.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband makes a list, too, and always asks if I've made mine. So I've given in and done that. I suppose it is too much for me to want him to just know what I want without me telling him.

Having a child open Christmas presents is a lot of fun! That's my favorite part of Christmas morning.

Your projects from your last post all look wonderful!

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My guy is really hard to shop for too. He always asks for a book, and I'm like, "what book?" and he replies, "eh, any book. Or money. You can give me money."

Well, giving money is not an option, but this year I finally went ahead and bought some books on his favorite subject. His reponse? "Should have waited for the paperbacks to come out."

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home