Monday, December 03, 2007

Skull Hat and A Korknisser- Done!

I decided to try fair isle. This is my first real attempt at it. I think it looks ok. There's some slight pulling, but when it's on, it's not noticeable. I'm going to block it and see if that helps the visual side of the puckering. Blocking is a gift from the gods, so it might just work. My one big complaint is that the hat is a bit tall. I thought I was supposed to knit a ribbed edge. Obviously, I was mistaken. I will definately make this pattern again. And I will no longer shy away from fair isle, either. It was a tanglely good time!
Here's the pattern. It's a PDF, just to warn ya. I did it in black Cascade 220. The tan is Patons True North. You have no idea how much I loved this yarn. Too bad they don't make it anymore.
I started a pair of mittens for The Boy-
I have to frog them though, they are too tiny. My kid has some big hands.

(We had our first snow of the season. It was a slight dusting, plus some freezing rain. I'm so ready for April already.)

And I finished a Korknisser (don't ask me how to say it, I have NO idea....Or what it means, for that matter.)
Super quick knit. I'll be making an army's worth.

10 Comments:

Blogger Annika said...

I don't know what korknisser means, either, but I adore it! So cute.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Octopus Knits said...

The skull hat looks great, and your korknisser is pretty darn cute : )

6:33 PM  
Blogger jennsquared said...

That hat is great!!!! And I love those little korknisser! My Christmas Pal wanted to be a Nisser ornament and this would be a perfect thing to make for her! Thanks for sharing!

8:42 PM  
Blogger Archiknist said...

I suspect it's cork-nisser (although wouldn't it be great if the kn were just n, like knit?).

Whatever he's called, he's adorable.

And what a speedy hat--didn't you start it on Sunday?

10:45 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Cute korknisser. Corks need handknits too. Love love the skull hat! Your first go at fair isle is very impressive! I haven't taken the fair isle plunge yet. It scares me.

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your hat looks terrific! That's more fair isle than I've ever tried before. You did a great job on it.

11:10 PM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

That hat cracks me up! Can you turn up the ribbing to make it the right length? Not to scare you, because I've never done fair isle myself, but if you use two different yarns, don't you run the risk of having them grow at different rates when you wash the piece? Sort of like felting with two different yarns, only in reverse? Or maybe the structure of fair isle holds it all in place.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Julie@HighFive! said...

Now THAT is something I think I could knit! Love it!!

9:23 PM  
Blogger www.stepherz.com said...

LOVE the skull cap!

9:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Way cool hat! And I'm addicted to the cork people as well.

Happy Holidays to you!

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home