Monday, January 28, 2008

Bad Vest, That's a Bad Vest.

It's no secret that I'm working on a fair isle vest for Schaefer.


I've shown photos, I've talked about it to anyone who'd listen.


Last night I sat down to knit another pattern repeat on it. I got through maybe 4 or 5 rows and realized that I was doing the pattern wrong. I ripped. I tried picking up the stitches and I swear I could not get them back on. I ripped another row. Again, I couldn't get all of the stitches on. I ended up tinking back stitch by stitch.

I had to put the vest down. I was so irritated.


(Say it with me in your best doggy-mommy voice...)


Bad vest...that's a bad vest.


I want this thing done. It's not that I'm sick of it or that I'm not enjoying it. I've challenged myself to do it in a timely manner. I have a feeling that "timely" isn't going to happen, or atleast not a quickly as I would like. (Who, me? Competitive? Yep.)


I completed the back of the Minimalist Cardigan and started the sleeves. Of course, I got about 4 inches done and realized that I did it in stockinette, instead of moss stitch as the pattern called for.

Yeah, I ripped.

Bad Mini Cardi, that's a bad Mini Cardi.

Both of my current projects are in time out. I'm going to some housework or something.


BTW, how much time do you spend knitting? Just on average, as a guess- how long do you spend "on the needles" on any given day? Does it vary from day to day or weekday to weekends? At SnB yesterday they were amazed to find out how much of my day is spent knitting. I was just wondering if it's unusual.

11 Comments:

Blogger Annika said...

Lately I am lucky if I knit for an hour in the evening, but I know part of the problem is that I am not picking it up as often as I could. I think I have a mental block against knitting just a few stitches at a time. I watched an interview with the Yarn Harlot a while ago and I was struck by the fact that she stood there, knitting away as she talked with the interviewer. Of course! How else could she be so prolific? So it is my goal to be like that. Always knitting.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Christie said...

I"m usually knitting during TV time when I get home. On the weekends, if we don't have anything planned, I'm usually knitting most of the day. And if we have to go somewhere, I try to knit in the car on the way there [only if I'm not driving!].

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd say I probably knit 30 - 60 minutes a day. It's usually in bits and pieces, so it's hard to tell just how much knitting time I do have.

6:06 PM  
Blogger sophanne said...

I have been blogging this evening since 7:00 pm. (It's now 8:40) If I spent as much time knitting as I did knit blogging I'd get in three hours a night. As it is, I get in about one. Another reason knit night is a good thing. No blogs to read!

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I try to do about an hour a day...doesn't always happen but I try.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

If I get an hour a day in I'm feeling good about making at least some progress. By the time I get home, do the evening home chores, grade some papers, I am satisfied with an hour of knitting. Too tired to do much more than that. On knitting night, I get over two hours of knitting time in (the rest is visiting).

8:06 AM  
Blogger Lilith Parker said...

When I have a job, I only knit at SnB, so it's two or four hours a week at most. When I'm unemployed, I usually knit for at least two hours a day... unless there's a new hobby distracting me.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Guess your knitting mojo was off. It happens. During the week, I spend about 3 to 4 hours hours knitting, except for Thursday when it goes up to 5 or 6 hours (SnB night). Weekends, it varies, but it's usually betwwen 4 to 6 hours each day. I wish I could spend a whole day just knitting for 12 hours uninterrupted by anything.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

Well, that's awful. I've had knitting sessions like that. (This morning I had a far worse session with a set of PTA books that some fool decided I--who cannot balance a checkbook--should audit. I'd rather try to pick up a dropped stitch 14 rows down in black mohair lace.)

As for the knitting, I can only reveal the truth if you promise never to share it with my husband, who thinks I should, you know, get a job, or something. When there are no witnesses, I will happily knit for hours and hours straight. All day, to be honest. When there are witnesses (and there usually are, since my husband works at home), I try to limit myself to knitting only after the kids get home from school, when I can justify it in the name of "supervising" children. I usually knit all evening after dinner (maybe three or four hours), and during meetings, phone calls, karate practice, art lessons, football games...and sometimes in the bathroom, since no one is going to check to see what I'm really doing in there.

I do other things, too, like clean and cook and garden and raise kids and even practice law sometimes, but there's just nothing I love to do as much as knit. So if you're weird, well, you're in good company.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I only get in about 30-60 minutes a day during the week and about 2 hours a day on the weekend. There are sad days when I can't pick up my needles until about 11 pm (in my world bedtime is about 9:30) but if I don't knit for at least 30 minutes I am very very cranky.

7:54 AM  
Blogger weeble wobble said...

hm i would say about an hour a day on average. Lately since I have been sick maybe 2-3. I take lots of breaks since most of it is while watching TV shows on the internets, and I always am jumping up to get a glass of water, or interact with the spousal unit, or eat. I've also taken to knitting at work, it really calms me down in just 5 minutes. Sometimes I will take it into the bathroom with me and just do a few rows. There are lounges and other places I could knit but it makes me uncomfortable, like people would see me and think I was being lazy at work.
-KT

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home