Monday, April 21, 2008

Fair Isle Vest- DONE!


It's finally finished (and has been for a week.)

I have no idea why I didn't post these photos earlier, except for the fact that I swear that I already did. Isn't that the precursor to Alzheimer's?


I'm really proud of this vest. I was never a big fair isle knitter. Sure I loved to oggle them when another knitter did one, but I really had no interest in doing one myself. Then I did the skull hats and it went downhill from there.


I love fair isle now.

This was a challenging project, both from a technical and a physical aspect. My wrist started to crap out on me in the beginning of this project and really crapped out on me after the front was finished. A project that I thought would take 3 weeks took 4 months. This project was for Schaefer Yarns and they were incredibly supportive and patient.
The yarn is Schaefer Heather, made with 55% superwash merino wool, 30% cultivated silk, 15% nylon. Highly recommend the yarn to anyone. It was a pleasure to work with, although I will admit to the yarn having some extra energy (meaning it had a tendency to spin up on itself.) That would be easily rectified by dropping your needle once in awhile and letting the needle spin a couple of rotations (anyone who has done needlepoint knows exactly what I'm talking about.)
So now that this large project is done and given the fact that my wrist still hurts intermittently, I'm knitting in slow doses.
Happy Monday!

9 Comments:

Blogger Octopus Knits said...

It's beautiful! Wonderful job.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Gauss said...

Oh, pretty!! I like it.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Archiknist said...

It's still gorgeous!

8:02 AM  
Blogger missalicefaye said...

Lovely--congratulations! :)

12:05 PM  
Blogger Sachi said...

That's amazing. Way to go!

12:28 PM  
Blogger rita said...

How gorgeous! I've never even wanted to try fair isle. It looks so difficult!

I read farther down in your blog that you're having problems with fatigue and the testing you've gone through. I had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for 5 years, couldn't find a reason for any of the symptoms, then it suddenly went away. I had migraines with it, too. I hope yours is something that can be easily fixed!

2:45 PM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

It looks fantastic! I'd love to see a modeled shot. :)

7:09 PM  
Blogger KnelleyBelley said...

That's a pretty impressive piece of knitting! Worth the 4 months it took. Ta da!

8:54 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

This is really nice. The yarn and pattern play very well together.

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home