Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Wild, Wild Life

Anyone who knows me, knows I hate bugs. But nature in general- I love it.

Yesterday The Boy and I were out on the deck enjoying the afternoon. We got divebombed by two HUMMINGBIRDS! I had no idea that we had hummingbirds, nevermind that they divebombed! It was really cool to see them checking us out just as much as we were checking them out. My mom thinks they are a couple and perhaps have a nest nearby.

A short while later, we were running around the yard and I noticed movement in the grass. It was a little gardner snake, about 5 inches long. Cutest thing ever.

Anyways, I'm blessed by the nature that I have in my life now- the deer, the hummingbirds and the snake.
Here's some more photos of the house!

Kitchen on move in day:


Kitchen yesterday:

We also have one rose bush. Here's a photo of one of the blooms.

And the other dying two.

And the beetle eaten leaves.

It really is a sad little rose bush. Next year, this is going to be my baby. I'm going to do everything in my power to make this thing into something beautiful. I do not have a green thumb at all, but when I saw the loveliness of that one bloom, I knew that I had to make it come back. I think it's too late (please tell me if I'm wrong!) for this season, but next year...it's going to be wonderful.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

Your kitchen looks great! I know nothing about roses but I'm sure you could get a book at the library that would give you some guidance.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

Roses are surprisingly sturdy. As long as they have sun and water, they generally do pretty well. If you don't mind chemicals in the garden, get some Bayer systemic all-in-one rose treatment. It's granular; you mix it into the soil around the base of the bush and it feeds the plant and kills the bugs at the same time.

As for the hummingbird, outside that kitchen window looks like a good place to hang a feeder!

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The rose bush will survive no problem. I have a big compost this year if you would like some worms included I wouldn't mind giving you some for rose bush.

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home