Thursday, September 18, 2008

Paton's Cabled Vest Done!

YAY! I loved this pattern as soon as I opened the booklet (Paton's Cables) in Joann's last year. It took me awhile to get it on the needles, but it was a great knit. I wish that it was done in the round, up to the armpits, but beggers can't be choosers (yeah, I could have modified the pattern, but I'm too lazy). I'm hoping that it's warm enough in mid October that this could be one of my Rhinebeck outfits. It's a little big, I should have done the small size. I had the small on the needles, the frogged back because it looked TOO small. Sigh.


It's a great, relaxed look and this is coming from a completely non-vest wearing girl. (The Ralph Lauren shirt underneath helps. $20 bucks at Marshalls. Sweet!)



I also wanted to respond to the comments from the day before yesterday. First of all, thanks to everyone who did leave one.


Second, I know first hand what it's like for your body to want to hold onto weight like there's no tomorrow. Trust me, I do. I was 200 pounds on the day The Boy was born. (I'm 5'2"). Nature tells your body to release some of the weight. And it did. I lost a ton of weight within the first few weeks. But then- your body says to itself, "No no, not too much can come off. We have to leave some on...just in case." Nature is afraid that there will not be enough fat stored in your body for you to produce the nutrients- breastmilk and stuff- to feed the child. Your body holds on to that weight.


MY body is holding onto that weight. It's been 3 years!! I have to work harder for this weight to come off, thanks to nature telling me that I can't lose it.


Weight loss isn't easy. I never said it was. But to go to a weight loss class and blatantly tell everyone in there that you aren't going to do the two most important things regarding weight loss, but then wonder why you didn't lose much weight? Just silly.


Yesterday, The Boy and I spent the entire day walking around a New England fair with smells and sights of all sorts of goodies. Know what I ate? A grilled veggie panini and a child size frozen yogurt. That, and a whole lot of water. I didn't have the crap I would have normally ate because this issue is something that I want to have over with. I'm done. I'm done with having to wear size 14. I'm done with feeling self conscious every time I walk out the door. I'm done with feeling sluggish and sad.


DONE.


But instead of hanging my head and throwing in the towel, I'm making changes.



You can too.

Make baby steps. Replace one meal a day with a salad. (Think you'll go hungry? Come to my house and I'll make you a salad that will have you satisfied until midnight. Email me if you want to know what I put in my salads.)

Make small changes. All it takes is one step at a time. Go for a walk. Just 20 minutes a day will make a difference. (I'm not saying start with a gym membership or that I'm expecting everyone in the world to be able to run marathons, trust me- I couldn't do it myself. But it takes some motivation and you can find it within yourself!) Buy yourself a Heart Rate Monitor, learn how to strap it on (there's websites, especially Polar.com that are excellent for help) and GO! It will tell you when you are doing too much or too little. Can't afford it? I bought mine on ebay for 60 bucks. Ask for one for the holidays. You'll be surprised how much a loved one will chip in once he or she knows you are serious (my husband almost jumped for joy- he wants me around for awhile, I think).

Drink water. Buy a 24 ounce plastic water bottle (or larger) and try to make it never be full and never be empty. When you fill it, drink it. When you empty it, fill it. You should be peeing clear every 2 hours or less. Not even joking.



I've dealt with weight issues my whole life. I love sweets like you can't believe. But worse, I'm an emotional eater. I once ate an entire pan of rice crispie treats in a day. (And I wanted more!) That was because I knew that I was going to be alone for an extended period of time in my old house and it freaked me out. Did it solve anything? Did the marshmallows protect me in any way? No.


This is what I'm learning.

It doesn't help that I have 2 sisters that are morbidly obese. I see that and it makes me want to cry. They will die at an early age because they are spinning out of control and can't do anything about it. That terrifies me. I'm so close to that.

And yeah, it is about loving yourself, Carole. I'm going to add that to my inspiration sheet right now. 'Cause I do love myself. And I think you guys should love yourselves too.

More later, The Boy is awake and yelling to get up now. Bad timing. :)

7 Comments:

Blogger Christie said...

I LOVE YOUR VEST! I just bought gray yarn to make one for myself! Once I finish the next baby sweater, it's on! I hope mine looks as good as yours!

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful vest, it looks great on you and I have a feeling it's going to be one of those pieces you keep reaching for over and over.

You're absolutely right about all your weight loss musings. Those are the things I tell myself, and the tips I employ, every single time I try to tackle the weightloss monster. Keep up the good work and I have a feeling with your level of determination that you'll be where you want to be in short order.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I hope you know that when I was talking about loving yourself I really meant loving myself. It's hard to look in the mirror and love myself. It's hard to start exercising but it's harder to keep exercising. Sometimes I feel like its such a vicious cycle.

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI - Free the JCC in New Haven is having a free week Sept 21-28 with coupon from your "super Coups" we all get in the mail and discounted memberships....

Fitness is the buzzz

11:44 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Awesome gorgeous cabley vest! I am in love with vests because then I don't have to knit sleeves. It's true that small changes make a big difference. As for protection from marshmallows, you must make a shield out of them and not eat them.

11:21 AM  
Blogger the boogeyman's wife said...

the cables on that vest look great!

4:32 PM  
Blogger weeble wobble said...

adorable! You *and* the vest. :)

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home