Wednesday, September 17, 2008

"There's No Epidural in Exercise."

I watched The Biggest Loser this afternoon (yay DVR and no commericals!) and that was a quote from one of the girls.

She's right.

I have been working out this a vengence- going to the gym for 2 hours a day 5 days a week, doing ab and back work here at the house, and walking the neighborhood on days I skip the gym...my body hurts.

I've also been calorie cutting again, back to 1200/day. It's a change, but my body is not longer in that "feed me now!" panic mode, so it's getting easier.

I've lost 4 pounds in one week. I've been attending local weight loss classes here in town. I'm amazed at how the people sitting around me are ready to admit that they have a weight issue (obviously, they are sitting there-right?), but don't have the inner drive to change habits. One woman, who needs to lose about 100 pounds, said that she didn't like water and exercise and nothing they told her was going to change that. When pushed further, she said that exercise hurt and water made her pee too much.

I looked at her and said, "Pain is weakness leaving the body."

She had her mouth open, ready to say a quick retort, but instead stopped and thought about it.

I know I'm right. I prove it to myself with every spin class, every weight training session, every sit up and every stretch I do. Yeah, it hurts. But I want to make changes. I want to feel sexy. I want to feel strong and healthy.

I have no idea where this 12 week journey is going to take me, but with 4 pounds gone, I'm happy to keep moving.

(And I have a finished vest to show off, but that's going to have to wait for Hubs to get home so that we can take photos. I bought a new size small shirt to go with it and everything!)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As one of those people with 100lbs to lose, (and has tried to lose over and over again), I can say this from experience. The sheer magnitude of the hole you're in is incredibly daunting. Your body, once obese, fights tooth and nail to stay fat. Your emotions are telling you you're both a failure and even more miserable when you try to change. Your body thinks you're trying to starve it and blocks you.

It's not impossible, no. But it sure feels that way when you have a whole person to lose.

I'm proud of you for working so hard to change your body, and health. I hope that you are able to keep up the good work and maybe your example will inspire someone else.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Interesting. You have to love yourself to do it, though.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Christie said...

What you're saying is so true! I struggle to get up off my butt every day...but I have to do it and when I'm there, I can't keep looking at the clock. I've decided to be in the moment and give it all I've got. Thanks for the pep talk!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

Go, honey, go go go!

It gets easier as you go. And once you're where you want to be, it's a whole lot easier to keep it off than it is to lose it in the first place.

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In January I found out that I was pre-diabetic. My sheer terror of being diabetic caused me to get off my ass and start losing the weight. I've lost 24lbs and have 20 more to go however, I've started lapsing over the past month. I need to get back in the exercise routine and stop eating crap food.

Tina's right, though, once you've gained that much weight, your body does. not. want to lose it. Those 24lbs were the hardest pounds I've ever lost.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Wow, pain is weakness leaving the body. I've never thought of it that way. Cool. Congrats for your discipline and dedication to making changes and losing weight. It ain't easy.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Archiknist said...

It amazes me when people don't seem to understand that a lot of exercising isn't pleasant. The number of people who tell me that can't exercise because they get out of breath! (Yes, it's called breathing hard, and that's actually the goal of exercise! It's good for your lungs and heart!) I think it's hard to find a balance between encouraging people who don't really exercise to get started, and giving people a realistic picture of what exercising feels like--when I talk about exercising, I don't want to make it sound terrible, but at the same time, it's often unpleasant/painful, and people should know that.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Lovely vest. It is tough to make the changes, but well worth it in the end.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Baby Beth said...

I'm proud of you. It's never easy to admit there are things you don't like about yourself and know that you need to change and then have the courage to do it. Keep up the the good work.

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home