Thursday, October 16, 2008

Dear Loving Child of Mine, Part 2

Sigh.

This morning I was outside with The Boy, enjoying the warm weather, raking some leaves and sweeping the paved part of the driveway. The Boy was running around the yard, within eyesight- so I thought nothing of putting my head down and working. Occasionally I'd pick my head up to see where he was. If he went around the corner to his park I'd yell his name. He'd respond back, "Here Mama!" and I would start to sweep again.

We were out there for over an hour. I had a good sweat worked up. I haven't been on the bike for about a week and a half, so the exercise felt good. It's just cool enough outside that it didn't feel overly yucky or tiring.

At one point The Boy was by the woods. I barked at him to come away from there. I know he can't go too far into the trees, there's a ton of ferns and a rock wall in the way. But I don't like him near that area unless I'm with him.

He came running up to me with a look on his face like he'd eaten something awful.

"Yucky," he said as he spit. "Berries are gross!"

Yeah, the berries that he's never touched before? Today he ate one.

I ran inside, grabbed my keys, my purse, a diaper and cellphone. I called Hubs and asked him what to do, knowing he'd say emergency room. I remembered to cut a piece of the bush- berries, leaves and stem for identification purposes.

Luckily, our town has a 24 hour walk-in emergency center. I pulled up to the place and was greeted by a very nice lady who asked some questions. A doctor came out and looked at The Boy, took the branch and said that she'd be back.

About 20 minutes later she came out, branch in hand. She called poison control and they said that he would be fine. The berries weren't poisonous, and even if they were, he didn't eat enough to do any harm.

Sigh.

I'm relieved.

I'm also ready for a stiff drink.


(Hey, two more sleeps until Rhinebeck!)

7 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

Sounds like you need a shorter leash. ;-)

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good stiff drink sounds in order. I'm glad to that he's ok.

3:24 PM  
Blogger sophanne said...

or else keep him locked in your room

3:42 PM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

You can't possibly watch him every waking second, so don't go there. You did exactly the right things, and he's fine.

As for the leash idea...I actually used one on my now-11 year old. He used to LOVE to hide when we were out in public. It flat-out terrified me, and since I had a baby at the same time, it was almost impossible to hang onto him and push the stroller. So I told him, "If you can't behave like a little boy, I'll have to put a leash on you like a dog." He thought that was a great idea! He would crawl on all fours and bark when I put on the (child) harness. Yeah. I got some really nasty looks from total strangers. *sigh*

4:55 PM  
Blogger Octopus Knits said...

Oh my goodness! What a scare :0
I'm glad the berries weren't poisonous!

1:00 AM  
Blogger Octopus Knits said...

P.S. I've just nominated you for a blog award :)

3:16 AM  
Blogger Laural said...

Sounds just like my nephew. I'm glad he's ok and I hope you got your drink.

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home