Monday, November 17, 2008

A Lesson in Needles

The black sweater that I've been working on for a couple of days now is being made with Berroco Comfort. This is the second project that I'm attempting with this yarn. The first one was frogged before I finished 20 rows. Seriously, the yarn was so splitty that I couldn't finish a row without fighting every stitch.
I read on the Ravelry forums that some people love this yarn. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why! In theory it should be great. Since it has no natural fibers- no wool, cotton, etc- it should be perfect for allergy sufferers. But I couldn't get over the splitty-ness.

Then I realized that maybe it was the needles I was using on that first project. I love Denise Interchangeables. They are the first needles I grab when I start a new project. I was a strictly wooden girl for a long time, but then my wrist issues started and I was desperate to find what was causing the pain. The pain didn't go away after using the Denises, but I liked the feeling of using plastic better than the wooden needles. My projects went faster, the interchangeables had pointier tips and I loved the options of the many different sized cables.


When I started the first sweater with the Comfort yarn, I used the interchangeables. Last Friday night I was planning my next project and decided that I wanted to do a sweater with the Berroco yarn. I was willing to try another needle, but made a promise to myself that if the stuff fought with me, I'd pass it on to the next willing victim.

I'm happy to report that so far, no problems. The sweater is sailing smoothly.

Now if I could just deal with using black yarn in low light. The ol' eyes just aren't as good as they used to be. *Snort*

3 Comments:

Blogger Yarnhog said...

I absolutely detest splitty yarn. But you're right, the needles do make a big difference. I like bamboo needles for splitty yarn, pointy metal needles for sticky wool.

Oh, and try putting a white towel or cloth in your lap when working with black yarn. It really helps when you can't make out the stitches easily.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Christie said...

Bad eyes? Aren't you a 30-something? You're too young to have bad eyes. Go eat some carrots!!!! :) Just kidding.

Glad to see that it's working out!

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain with the black yarn...I just turned 30 and was working with black Yarn just the other night. I had to put an additional light on my project. Is this what we have to look forward to?

12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home