Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Why I No Longer Support Craftster.

Bear with me, I'm feeling a bit irked right now.

Long before the wonder that is Ravelry, I "belonged" (I'll use that term loosely) to another craft site, Craftster.

Yeah, I'm sure you've heard of it.

I posted on their knitting boards regularly. Once I posted photos on there of my craft closet reorganization, along with what I did to make everything look good. The mod took issue with the post and moved it into another post, even though my original post had received responses. A couple days later I couldn't find the post. I pm'd the mod and asked where it went. She snipped that it belonged with another post so she moved it (without my consent or knowledge). The title of that post was something ridiculous and since it had hundreds of responses I thought that my post would get buried. (Which it did. No one else responded to the post the entire time that it was with the longer post.) I asked to have it moved back into its own post. She said that it belonged where she put it. I said that my post had nothing to do with the other and that I didn't appreciate being censored. She said that she just wanted to keep all of the posts with remotely the same general idea in one place. I told her to move the post back into it's own post or that I'd remove it and my money from the site.

She said no. I deleted the post, never posted another thing on there and I never gave Craftster another cent.

Anyways, flash forward to yesterday.

I get an email saying that I had 2 personal messages from Craftster. Strange, I think to myself...I haven't been on that site in a couple years.

Once again, it was another moderator, asking me to change two posts. FROM as early as April 2006!

WTF? You have nothing better to do than moderate my posts from 4 and 11/06?

I pm'd back, asking what she wanted me to do and if everyone's posts are being questioned.

She said, '"As stated in the original PM, "it could be perceived that your post is attempting to promote your website or blog and not contribute to sharing a project on Craftster." You can delete the post if you'd like, but you can also fix it to meet the rules of Craftster and it will be placed back on the appropriate board. It was moved because I happened to come across it and realized it did not follow the rules. These rules may not have been in place when you originally posted it, however, we do try to retroactively fix old posts to avoid confusion about the rules."

Apparently they have a rule against advertising your blog. How dare I write, "Check out my blog" or "More info in the blog", which is why they need to be changed. Sigh.

I have no idea why I'm so irked by this situation. Well, I do, but I don't know why I'm irked THIS MUCH. This is what happens when people that are given a certain responsiblity take it way too far. The posts are from over 2 years ago. No one has even looked at them in all that time. What does she care that they don't "meet the rules"?

And- she didn't answer my question if all old posts are being looked at.

Any thought of ever supporting them again was shot down with these pm's. I'm sure it wasn't her intention to get my feathers up. But for the love of god...someone needs to find a new hobby besides moderating craft boards.

This makes me 100% thankful for what Ravelry is and what it stands for. Matter in fact, I know that I have some cash in the paypal account and guess who's getting it?

I'm sure as all hell that it won't be Craftster.

9 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

That does seem rather extreme. Good riddance, I say.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Baby Beth said...

F them. Jerks. I remember you telling me about the closet post. Abuse of power is what I say!

6:09 PM  
Blogger Gauss said...

Hmm... I've never heard of Crafters, and maybe this is why - with such policies and actions, they probably won't stand a chance next to ravelry. And do I understand correctly, you have do pay to belong? Sheesh.

7:31 PM  
Blogger weeble wobble said...

Totally insane. Investing in Ravelry sounds like a smart move.

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know if you google "support Crafter" you are the second entry. Awesome! Nothing better then a well read blog like yours to dis a site like that.

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey sorry my post keep coming up as "s" instead of southmaine / Judy

10:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very irksome! Not a very warm fuzzy environment.

5:11 AM  
Blogger nihal said...

i am there with you! i was once a good ol craftster memeber until they started to crazily talk about cencorship and "keep everything on topic". they kill the community spirit and thank god ravelry came along to save my soul.

craftster is a place where the mods dont get the whole web 2.0 thing a bit. it was the first and biggest place to share your craftiness and feel the acceptance from felow craftsters. but when they started to keep chirpin "dont talk other things, only crafts" etc all the glory wilted away.

now i dont even check my account there.

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely a case of someone TOTALLY overdoing. And what, they'd rather have you copy and paste a super-heavy post into their database when it'd be easier to go and refer back to ONE SINGLE source? And with THAT old of a post? WTF? Don't feel bad about being worked up over this - it'd piss anyone off out of the pure stupidity of it.

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home