Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Case of the Tuesdays??

Good Christmas.

I'm even crankier today.

I need a glass of wine. And some time away from my house, other than chasing The Boy outside in the freezing cold.

So today I called my OBGYN's office. I've called before and I've always had an issue with the receptionist's attitude. Never anything that I could explain, other than saying to Hubs that she wasn't as warm and fuzzy as the receptionist at the other doctor's office.

Anyhow, I call today and this was the beginning of our conversation:

Me: "Hello, I took a home pregnancy test and it confirmed that I'm pregnant."

Her: "Oh. Is this a good thing?"

After a couple of stunned silence I said, "Yes. I need to make an appointment to see my doctor."

Inside I'm screaming- "Wholly shit woman, that was totally inappropriate!" What if I was a young woman who didn't view this event as a good one?? What business of it is hers?

Ok, we talk for awhile. She's not really getting on my nerves until she tells me that my first appointment will be in another office 2 towns over and will take 2 and a half to 3 hours. Um, what do I do with my kid during that time?? I ask if all of my ultrasounds will be there. She says yes. Sigh. Whatever. (I wish I was told this before I started going to them. It is a huge pain in the butt. Something that should take a half an hour will now take multiple hours each visit. Not good.)

Then comes the kicker- she said that I'll get the ultrasound, then see the nurse practitioner. Ok, I say- but when do I see my doctor?

Silence.

She says, "During this visit you won't see the doctor. You'll see the nurse practitioner."

I say, "But I want to see a doctor...a medical professional. My last pregnancy was very difficult from the beginning and in my other doctor's office, I'm considered a high-risk pregnancy."

"Well," she says, "You are no longer going to that office."

I said, "Can Dr... call me back?"

She says, "Is there another issue that you need help with?"

I dropped it. Obviously, she didn't care what I had to say or what I needed from the doctor.

Ok, so what she's telling me is that my baby isn't high risk because I changed doctors?? Perhaps if I had changed to them last time I wouldn't have had 5 months straight of vomiting daily, coupled with 9 hospitalizations, followed by preeclampsia, followed by an emergency c-section. Why didn't I think of that??

Hubs made me agree to go to the ultrasound and if I didn't feel any better than I could seek out another doctor.

How do I complain about this woman?? It's a small office. I have no idea what to do.

I know I'm overemotional. I know I'm cranky. But... what the hell?

15 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow. That's completely unprofessional. The woman at the front desk at my OBGYN isn't all warm and fuzzy either, but that takes the cake. I know it's going to be a pain, but really, call or write a letter to whomever is the office manager or even the docs in that practice. They need to know that their patients are treated this way. That is not good customer service. I would also contact your previous doc and have them contact this office to explain about the (legitimate) concerns with the pregnancy.

As a blogging friend, I will gladly have several glasses of wine for you :) Hugs and I'm sorry it's a rough day / time!

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not being hormonal. She was insanely inappropriate from beginning to end. I really really really think you should find another OB - even if this doctor is wonderful you will have to deal with this cow every time you need anything.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Uccellina said...

You have a right to be treated well by your practitioner and everyone associated with their office. I would definitely complain. And I am not the complainy type.

5:03 PM  
Blogger sophanne said...

my thoughts? Find a new place. You don't deserve nine months of this. Better now than later. Someone who will attend to your history and geography.

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what town you're in, but would you consider the Midwives at the CT Childbirth and Women's center? They have an office in Danbury and one in Southbury and are positively WONDERFUL! And the consulting OBs are fantastic also. Email me if you want my ph#, I'd be happy to discuss my experience with them if you like.

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was completely INAPPROPRIATE!!! I would totally complaint myself. There are reasons why we select our doctors, and being our OBGYN is a very personal choice. I would totally find another doctor. Maybe ask your previous doctor who he/she recommend up there.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I'd find out who to complain to - there must be an office manager or practice manager or something. If you don't get satisfaction then find a new doctor before you get any further along. Maybe you could ask your former doctor's office for a recommendation.

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yowza. All who've commented before me have good advice. I hope this works out for you. You don't need any added stress during your pregnancy. You should be able to be completely comfortable with your medical care. (And tell that broad that SHE'S not a good thing!)

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would say complain AND find a new doctor. I always have to remind myself - my doctor (and his/her entire office staff) works for ME. They get my (or my insurance's) money, and they'd better earn it. If you went to the grocery store and the staff treated you that way, you'd never go again...why should you take that kind of abuse from people who are in charge of something even more precious than your groceries?

1:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

{{{Hugs}}}

Yes, that was completely inappropriate. I'm not going to post the options you have on reporting her, but it you want more information either call me or email me.

9:09 AM  
Blogger the boogeyman's wife said...

wow. yeah, that lady was totally unprofessional. i'm very relaxed, and a bit of a social retard, but even i know that's not how you treat people. at all, but especially dealing with personal issues and health. if bringing her behavior to someone's attention doesn't have any results, you probably would be more comfortable seeing someone else. asking your former doc for a recommend sounded like a good idea.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Baby Beth said...

Holy mega-bitch. Here is what you do: When you go to the office, get the Dr's card. I'm sure he will have an e-mail address on it. E-mail him about your concerns. That woman was extremely unprofessional and she needs to be dealt with. Also, tell the NP when she sees you. And if you are paying to see a Dr, you have EVERY right to make sure you are seeing the actual Dr. I had a similar problem in my Dr's office and I told him straight up "I come here to see you, not your NP." The receptionist is just peachy with me now. Don't let her stress you but you should definitely say something...I don't care how small the office is. If she spoke to you, a new patient that way, I can only imagine how she speaks to everyone else.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

The receptionist was totally unprofessional. You should say something to the Dr. or office manager. I'd change Drs.

4:04 PM  
Blogger EGunn said...

Nope. Not over-emotional at all. I would complain, and I would strongly consider changing doctors. (Be careful complaining by email...it's likely the receptionist that reads them.) You don't need to deal with that kind of person when you're going through a pregnancy (especially one that might be stressful!).

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah - time to find a different doctor. Definitely see if your previous doctor will recommend one in your area. I would definitely complain, but as EGunn said, be sure it'll get past her. She acted not only inappropriately but insensitively and rudely. Her job is to schedule your appointment and answer questions you may have, not to pry or comment on your medical condition. I'm pretty sure a good doctor would want to know that their employee is representing them that way. Gah.

1:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home