Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Past 48

I've returned home from yet another lovely stay at the hospital.

This time they got serious though.

I stayed overnight. All by myself.

Sigh.

I honestly feel so out of control right now, but I have hope. I KNOW things are going to get better. I feel like my OBGYN's office is now realizing how critical my situation is and they are being very proactive, which I am so thankful for.

Sunday night and Monday were 1000 times worse that I could have imagined. The Boy didn't sleep on Sunday night. I was up every 20-45 minutes with him, until finally getting out of bed at 5. The worse thing for me was to have such a drastic change in sleep.

I got really, really sick. Seriously, Monday night took the cake. I should have gone in for IV then, but decided to be brave (or stupid) and wait it out. Tuesday I was sick before my feet even hit the floor. By 10AM I knew I needed help. I called Hubs, but it's his busy season and he couldn't make it home before 3. I couldn't wait. I called my mom's boyfriend. He showed up in a half hour, with the plan that he'd stay with The Boy and I'd drive myself to the hospital, about 25 minutes away. He took one look at me and said, "Get in the car, no arguments. I'm driving. Go!" We buckled The Boy into his car seat, Walt drove me to the hospital, came back home and wrangled The Boy until Hubs could make it home, much, much later than he anticipated. Words can't express my gratitude for that man right now.

I was so sick that by the time I made it to the Maternity ward, I had to grip the edge of the desk to hold myself up. What the hell was I thinking trying to drive myself?? Hello??

The nurses took charge. They got me hooked up to the IV, told me to rest...and did the best thing- found my doctor and brought her to me while I was in that state. The doctors only saw me after I had had fluid. I think they just didn't realize how sick I was getting or that I was getting worse.

My doctor gave me more meds, including an acid reducer. She told me if my blood work came back iffy, that I'd stay overnight. Needless to say, they came back way iffy.

Long night. I was hooked to a machine that beeped and rattled all night. I couldn't get a good rest.

This morning I woke with a headache. A hormone headache. Anyone who gets PMS headaches know exactly what I mean. Painful. I typically take two excedrin every 6 hours to help with it, but you can't take that drug while pregnant. The headache laughed at the tylenol I that tried to suppress it with. It's still laughing. And pounding.

In talking with the doctor last night, I told her that I wanted a pic line put in. She agreed. This way I could get my fluids at home, I could finally stop being a human pin cushion AND have instant relief with iv drugs, which work faster.
So this morning they put the pick line in. I was petrified. But like a brave beaver, I had it done. I didn't hurt since they numb the area. It was surreal though...it was treated like a surgery...can't wait to get the bill from that procedure...

Anyhow, I'm home again. No nausea. Pic line ready for the nurse to come tomorrow. I'm also going to check out nursery schools for The Boy. He desperately needs the interaction with the other kids and I can't give him the attention that he was getting at home while I was well. His behavior is starting to show it. So we had a family meeting and nursery school it is!

And best of all, Hubs has stepped up and decided that it was high time this place got cleaned up a bit. My downstairs sparkles. He promised to help me tomorrow with the upstairs.

Now if I could just get him to wash some underwear...

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow hope the visiting nurse helps you out. I was really hoping this time around your body would have been ready for this. Still, let me know if you need anything. Take it easy and I wish you luck finding and liking the Day Care/ Pre-School.

12:19 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I'm so sorry things have gotten so much worse. I really hope the pic line is the answer to the problem. I've said it before but I'll say it again - I wish I lived closer!

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude. that sucks. I hope you are able to get some relief soon.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Archiknist said...

Yowie--what a 48 hours!

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PCC lines help so much, but getting one put in is quite the procedure. It's way better than going in constantly for fluid IVs (said the woman who did that two months ago...)

My hospital roommate's doctor was telling her that TPN, ie tube feeding via the PCC line, was $3000 a day. Made me grateful for my insurance, given how long I'd been on it.

Good luck! Soon you'll have baby pictures to show off. The one pregnancy of mine where I was in the hospital beforehand, all the nurses couldn't wait to hold my baby when she arrived and it was such a celebration after so much anxiety months earlier.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I hope the pic line will help give you some relief from the misery. Good thing hubs stepped up. You certainly can't be expected to tend to a sleepless child alll night, and take care of housework and laundry while being violently sick!!! Fingers crossed that you feel better.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

Boy, that's rough. I was really sick during my last pregnancy, so I can relate. The pic line should help. I had one for a few weeks, and it definitely made life easier. I couldn't eat--I'd had abdominal surgery--and I got TPN (IV nutrition), which really made a huge difference. I hope the nausea lets up soon and you can get back to a normal life.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Oh boy, I hope you feel better soon. Hugs!

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes! You've really been having a tough time. I hope the pic line helps and you won't get to the point where you need to go back to the hospital. Even better, hope the crap just stops so you can relax and enjoy your pregnancy.

5:52 PM  
Blogger weeble wobble said...

ditto on carol

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear lord - you DO need a break. Hope this is the last of the dehydration bouts!

11:20 PM  
Anonymous JessaLu said...

Wow. I hope you're getting better...I feel for you. *hugs*

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home