Friday, March 06, 2009

What a Deal!

I've wanted a fancy-schmancy Kitchenaid mixer for a long, long time. I enjoy baking a lot. Stand mixers just make the process easier. But Kitchenaid was just too costly.
I told Hubs that if he didn't get me a weather station for Valentine's Day, that I was going to go blow $300 bucks on a stand mixer. Well, V-Day came and no station. Sigh.
We bought a station that night, after many apologies from Hubs. He knew he screwed up, not only V-Day, but also Christmas (which is when I first begged for the damn weather station).
We were in Lowe's together and although I drooled over the mixers, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I couldn't friviously blow that much cash on something that wasn't 100% necessary.
I knew Kohl's had sales. I waited for the next one a couple weeks ago. Stand mixers were an extra 10% off.
And again, although I stood there like an idiot, drooling over the mixers, I couldn't bring myself to spend $299, less 10% on the thing.
My mother in law lives near a Kohl's in her town. She called last Saturday to say that she was going there and would look at the mixers, that perhaps she could find a better deal. I told her to get me black or red.
She called a few minutes later, literally giddy. A blue 5 quart mixer was on special- it was the display model, but came with everything. No box, but the accessories were all there.
How much?
$179.00
Get it, I told her.
Oh wait, she said...Mixers are 15% off today. They'll give it to me for $153.00.
I told her to take it and run.
A few minutes later she calls again.
They let her use a 20% coupon on top of the 15% off price.
Total for the $299.00 mixer?

$129.73

Well, that's a good deal, I'd say.

But wait, there's more.

There were no instructions with the mixer. No biggie, I'll go on the site and ask to have them sent to me.

Yesterday I went online to the Kitchenaid site, went under customer service and live chatted with a rep. She sent me a link to the instructions and warranty info. As we were signing off she wrote, "Don't forget to fill out and send in the rebate info by the end of next month."

Rebate offer??

Yeah, $30 back on a prepaid visa card, a year's subscription to Food and Wine magazine AND a free cookbook.

That, my friends, brings our total for a $300 mixer to under $100 bucks.

Now THAT'S a bargain.

Find any good sales lately?

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean on the price. I found mine years ago on amazon for sale for 125 bucks, free shipping, and then I got the 25 bucks off because Amazon was having a home and garden sale. Spend over 125, you get 25 off. I got my beautiful Red mixer for 100 bucks. I was super excited too.

Yay for mixers.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cognrats! That is an incredible deal - enjoy - I have a mixer that I know I'm not using to its full potential!

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a deal!! That's pretty awesome!!

4:22 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

That's awesome! You're going to love this mixer. I've had mine for over 12 years and I use it all the time.

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! My parents got me a Kitchenaid as a wedding present - Bradon can't figure out why I'm so excited about it, especially since I don't cook. Pft...men. ;)

My recent good deal is exciting to all of about 4 people on earth - I managed to find an out-of-print roleplaying book for Bradon for really cheap. (~$40, usually goes for $80+)

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great deal! I have the same color. My parents got me mine for the first Christmas I was married since I didn't get it as a wedding present. I don't remember the deal, but they got it at Stern's going out of business sale. You will enjoy it. I also suggest the attachment pack.

6:17 PM  
Blogger rita said...

Wow--I got mine 30 years ago when I was decorating cakes and making bread and stuff, and it was close to $200 then.

I sure wish I could find that thing!

8:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a great bargain! Lucky you:)

3:08 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Excellent bargain! I got a red Kitchenmixer on e-bay a couple years back for a little over $100-. You will love using it. I couldn't live without mine even though I don't bake that much.
As for my recent bargains: 40 skeins of 50% off yarn and yesterday I hit up a great estate sale and got 2 perfect condition vintage quilts for about $200-. A big splurge but I knew I'd regret it if I didn't buy them.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Baby Beth said...

So jealous! I NEED one of those. I'll have to spoke out BB&B since I always have coupons for there anyway.

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

way to go! The shopping dieties were smiling upon you for sure! :-)

9:14 AM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

That's a fantastic deal! Good for you. (They had one of those on sale at Sears for $149 before Christmas. I almost bought it, but I suffer from a chronic lack of counter space.)

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. And blue, too; I'd love it if my plain-vanilla one were that gorgeous blue. Congratulations!

12:56 AM  
Anonymous Tina M. said...

My mom and I are VERY very proud of you! We are super shoppers, but she more than me. She pulls sh*t like that off ALL the TIME. I kid you not. That is one super deal! I'd be thrilled if I were you too.

6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home