Monday, July 27, 2009

Roses, Roses.

Last year we moved into this house.

The rose bush on the side was chewed beyond repair, but a bud came out and bloomed. It was pretty. Roses have always had a special place in my heart. My grandfather lovingly tended quite a few bushes while I was growing up. I never asked, but I always assumed that he did it for my grandmother.
This year, I decided to spray some organic anti bug crap on the plant after Hubs hacked back the dead stuff in the spring. It worked. The leaves are green and relatively clean.
We had 6 or 7 buds. I was so excited for these things!
Well, we got hail. Then rain, then heavier rain, then much, much heavier rain. Then more torrential downpouring rain.
Sigh.
Here's the state of the bush now. I'm heartbroken, but so much progress was made this year. Next year is going to be even better.
And for someone who DOES NOT garden? Wow.
(Damn you, RAIN! PPPPPFFFFFTH!)

1 Comments:

Blogger Yarnhog said...

I don't grow many roses, because I consider them high maintenance, but I do have a few mixed in with my perennials. This year I started spraying them every couple of weeks with Neem oil (it's an organic oil from the Neem tree). It works beautifully! They've never looked so good or produced so many flowers.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home