Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Friday, September 4th.

I had a normal, scheduled obgyn appointment on the Tuesday, Sept. 1st.

I had higher than normal blood pressure, which is low to the normal human, but a spike for me, so the dr wanted me back in the office Friday the 4th.

The Boy was in Florida on vacation with the inlaws. Hubs had the day off. He decided (with some begging on my part) to come with me to the drs. As we sat there, asking a few questions, he said, "Don't forget to tell the doc about the itching."

Oh yeah, the itching!

I had had unexplained, all-over itching for about 2 weeks. My wrists, chest, belly and bottom of my feet were the worst. It felt like my skin was on FIRE. I could not itch it enough. Hubs was constantly saying, "Quit itching."

The doctor had that look. You know, that "well...that could be something bad" look.

She decided to send me to the lab for blood work. I went right away. Hubs and I had lunch. I got a call on my cell phone as we left the restaurant.

It was the doctor. She wanted to treat me as if we knew for certain that I had the liver issue. Apparently, the tests take about a week to be done. If there was an issue, it may be too late to reverse damage done. (At the time, I had no idea that sudden fetal loss was a side effect or that I could die too.)

She wanted me at labor and delivery by that night. I went immediately, after going home and picking up my knitting, my ipod and changing my clothes.

I thought I'd be home in time for Bunco at 7 pm, which the neighborhood gals and I play once a month.

Man, was I wrong.

I got to the hospital, was hooked up to monitors, gave more blood, knit, laughed with the nurses, returned some emails by phone...


(I also forgot to mention that I sent Hubs to play 9 holes of golf. I seriously thought I would be home that night.)

So I'm sitting there, the nurse comes in. She says, "Heidi, we know something is going on. Your tests are funky, we have no idea why. It looks like you're delivering tonight...I say around 7."

It was 3pm.


I think I might have sworn. Loudly. Perhaps even said the F-word. Loudly.

We were so not ready for a kid to come.

The phone call to Hubs was delightful. Please feel the sarcasm dripping from my words.

He rushed to the hospital, with clothes for me (at the short end, I'd be in the hospital 5 days post-op. I brought NOTHING with me...well, knitting, ipod...but no essentials.)

We found out that the baby was too small and since I was in a controlled environment, we were going to wait on the c-section.

The doctor said that she'd like to hold on for as long as possible, even as long a 10 days. But no, I wouldn't be going home for those days, I'd be hooked up to monitors, getting bloodwork done 2-3 times daily and basically bedridden.

Shoot me.

So, knowing that we would deliver that night, I sent Hubs home and I attempted to sleep.

But wait- the contractions started.


Blogger Carole Knits said...

You're going to drag this out, aren't you? lol. I'm so relieved that everything turned out okay and that you and the baby are healthy and fine.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

WTF!? Who would think that itching would be a symptom of somethign so very serious and dangerous. Thanks goodness I know this has a happy ending!

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home