Saturday, September 19, 2009

Sunday, September 6

So on Saturday night it was decided that I would have a c-section early Sunday morning, no ifs, ands or buts about it. I had to get this kid out. My blood tests were the issue. My liver was getting worse and the doctors decided not to play russian roulette with my son's life.

So I woke up Sunday, (starving my ASS off! Everytime they decided to operate, I had to fast...which meant I fasted A LOT) and Hubs came in. We talked, got everything ready. Said a few private words to each other.
And off I went. Into surgery. I had a spinal block. Chatted with the nurses...asked "Dr. Steve" (my nickname for the anethesiologist) questions about the surgery...when suddenly I had a panic attack. I felt like I was going to pass out. I was sweaty and really felt like I should try to get up and leave. (I had a spinal for god's sake...where was I going to go?)

I told Dr Steve that I was having issues. He immediately got me a cold cloth for my forehead, put different drugs into the system and just talked me into calming down. He was wonderful.

He went to get Hubs, who was in the hallway in his scrubs. Hubs held my hand the whole time. I love that. I know he hates hospitals, surgery, and everything to do with both of those. To have him there meant the world to me.

The rest of the surgery went like clockwork.

I had the tubal ligation done. I'm proud of myself that I stuck with it. Many people wanted me to have more kids- family mostly, and they were pretty vocal about me being so young and having permanent birth control done.

Jamie made noise quickly, even though he was a preemie and needed some rubbing and suctioning to get his lungs working. I got to hold him pretty quickly, all things considered. Here's a photo:

You can see how yellow I was. Scary.

And after returning to my room:
I was all smiles. I was so happy to have him out. I felt so blessed that he was healthy. The outcome could have been totally different if it weren't for the doctors who were vigilant.
He was born 6 pounds, 10 ounces and 18 inches long. Tiny peanut.
We are doing great. I'm tired, but what new mom isn't? I get sore, but I had major surgery and I'm still recovering.
My family is now complete and I couldn't be any happier.


Blogger Christie said...


2:20 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Hooray for happy endings!

7:11 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Yay! Jamie is so so cute! And look look deliriously happy!
I would've had the tubal ligation too. You made the right decision for you and to hell with what other people say.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I soo love happy endings:) What a cute peanut!

12:43 PM  
Blogger Cookie said...

Oh goodness.

I'm so glad there was a happy ending to this and thankful that you told us everyone was okay before you started telling us what happened.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Xia Diaz said...

Congratulations! I'm glad everything went fine. 6 lbs and 10 oz. is a good weight! My son was 6 lbs and 15 oz. Enjoy your little bundle!

8:31 AM  
Blogger weeble wobble said...

oh you look so happy!! I'm so grateful that everything worked out. You are a trooper, and Jamie is adorable. :)

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Eklectika! said...

YAY! You did good, Momma!

11:36 PM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

Welcome to the world, baby boy! Congratulations, Mom!

2:41 PM  
Anonymous JessaLu said...

Holy wow! I'm so glad it all ended well (and good for you with sticking to your decision)

Congrats - he's a cutie! :o)

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home