Monday, March 01, 2010

Gold!

Like I said yesterday, I finished my sweater at Jay Peak, VT.

This sweater was worked on for 16 days straight. Was it the most difficult pattern? No. But there were some days that I knit on 4 hours of broken sleep. Some days I knit with a baby in one arm and a 4 year old sitting next to me, chattering non-stop. With a life as crazy as a stay-at-home mom's can sometimes get, it's a miracle that this thing was finished.

Hubs and I planned a weekend of skiing (he skis, I don't. I was to rest, read and knit. That's exactly what I did.) and it happened to fall at the end of the olympics. I was able to knit on the way up, which was a life saver. Seriously. We had nasty bouts of rain, wind, ice and snow on and off the whole time. I'm a nervous passenger. When I felt the need to scream, I just knit. And knit. And knit. It was wonderful.

We stopped in White River Junction, VT- the US Men's Hockey team was playing at 3 and we needed a break anyways. We drove through town, looking for anywhere that would have a tv tuned into the game. We found a place called the Filling Station. It was Nascar from one end to the other, but they were kind enough to put the game on for us. I broke out the sweater, much to the dismay of the other men at the bar. (Hubs is used to it, and it never bothered him anyways.)

We left after goal number 5. As we were packing up to leave, the bartender came over and told me that my knitting was a first. One of the other patrons joked that I "sullied the bar". I told him that if I sullied his bar, it had nothing to do with the knitting. They laughed, wished us safe travels and off we went.

The rest of the weekend was uneventful. I enjoyed Jay Peak's new hotel, the Tram Haus. Lovely people, great food...good times.

But now it's back to the daily grind.

But hey, at least I have a new sweater and a gold medal!

4 Comments:

Blogger Rows Red said...

Congratulations! I couldn't have done that, no way in hell, and I'm not a mom of two small children. True, mine would be plus sized and yours is not, but still! You get serious points in my book.

11:23 AM  
Anonymous PeacefulKnitter said...

Looks great! I love the colors. I'm impressed you finished this; it was all I could do to finish a hat in the same time period!

11:54 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

The sweater looks great. Thanks for sharing the funny bar story.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Woo hoo! Way to go for the gold! YOur olympic sweater is gorgeous. Isn't it funny the reaction we get knitting at bars or other unusual knitting spots.

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home