Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Need vs Want

I have no idea if everyone is neurotic about need/want items or if it's just me.

Seriously.

I grew up poor. Like- welfare, free cheese, and 4 sizes too big hand me down clothes- poor.

Anyways, I sometimes get things that I want into my head and can't shake it out.

Like a stroller that I want. Jamie is the last kid I'll ever have. I know from experience that a good stroller is necessary. I have a battle-ram travel system stroller that weighs about 49 pounds, takes up every last inch of my trunk and is impossible to steer. I want something small, that can fit in my trunk with extra room for stuff, that I can take out one handed and not feel like I'm going to burst a back muscle. Seriously.

I did research. I want an Uppababy G-luxe stroller. It's $160 bucks. Youch!!

There's no way in hell I'm paying that much. Sigh.

And LLBean....oh, don't get me started. They have a new Signature line. I want everything...

These!! $100 bucks for shoes that I can only wear 5 months out of the year and I can't chase down kids in!?! Do I need these?? No.

I really want to go places and see things. Fiber fest season is coming. Hubs gave clearance for me to go to WOOL....sigh.

Sometimes I feel like I'm back in the 6th grade, wishing that money grew on trees.

Oh well, at least I have knitting to keep my mind busy!

3 Comments:

Blogger Lilith Parker said...

I know exactly how you feel. *big hug*

10:28 PM  
Blogger Rows Red said...

You're coming?! WOOOHOO!!

Ahem. Sorry. :P

I hear you, I do. Every once in a while I get in a funk like that too, especially about our furniture now that we finally own a house. I hate looking around and seeing broken down, mismatched pieces that don't fit our needs (we're not even talking wants here). I grew up in a house without much extra, though not food stamp poor. But I know how you feel, essentially.

I won't give you platitudes, but just know that you don't have to feel guilty about wanting. I know you still love your family, you still know you're blessed. In your heart you know these things. It doesn't stop you from wanting, and that's ok too.

Ps: I'm really glad you're coming to WOOL!

10:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm completely with you.

Strollers are important, and a good one is a need. - there's a great consignment shop for baby / kid stuff out in Westbrook, the stork exchange - stroller season is coming - you could call them and put your name on a list for something specific. They give you a call if / when they get something in and you have 2 days to go get it (I think). Just a thought. I have found some great deals there - brand names, quality stuff, great prices!

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home