Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Favorite Gifts

I know that I've talked about my Grandma Jan a couple of times before here on the old blog.

Well, one of my gifts this Christmas was from her, indirectly.
She used to knit us these big "house socks" made from chunky acryllic yarn. You couldn't wear them outside, it was impossible to get shoes on over these socks, hence the name.

Anyways, my mom had one of my grandmother's hope chests in her house. She didn't have room for it any longer so she passed it on to me a couple of weeks ago. In the bottom of the chest were some photos and an old pair of aluminum knitting needles. I took them out, cleaned them up and put them in the fiber closet, thinking that one day when I had nothing to blog about I'd pull them out. I doubt that I'll ever use them (they are heavy) but knowing they were from Grandma Jan makes them so special to me.

I guess my mom also found the yellowed pattern my grandmother used to use for the house socks. There were 3 pages of sock patterns all together. My mom didn't give it to me that day, instead saving it for Christmas. I opened the package during the christmas eve party at my house. It was enclosed in a zippered needle holder, along with a gift certificate to Patternworks. I knew what it was. I opened the pattern slowly, it felt like it could fall apart any second, and I immediately noticed Grandma Jan's handwritting on the second page. I had chills.
Now at the same time that I'm opening my gifts, there's 20 others opening theirs. The house is packed with people, including excited children running around. It was loud and chaotic in here. At that moment though, I found myself alone. I could imagine sitting next to Grandma Jan, listening to the clack of metal, watching the yarn get fed through her fingers.

I could hear my mom calling my name from across the room. I looked up and she said, "Do you know what that is?"

Of course I did.

My favorite gift this year isn't the Ipod Nano, although it is nice and pretty. It's not the gift cards, gym bag or the new LL Bean shoes that I've been wanting for 5 months.

It's 3 pieces of paper and 2 slim pieces of metal used long ago.

Everyone should be as blessed as I am.

What's your favorite gift from this holiday season?


8 Comments:

Blogger Annika said...

$11.25 to spend on myself. (It sounds silly and kinda weird, but it was very sweet.)

2:33 PM  
Blogger KnelleyBelley said...

What a lovely story - and a special gift you'll treasure forever. Merry Christmas!

2:51 PM  
Blogger sophanne said...

What a beautiful present. Gramma Eva crocheted but all that remains is the 2'x3' chevron Wizard of Oz afghan. You are so very blessed. Thanks for sharing the story.

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is really sweet. I got chills just reading it.
My favorite gift was staying home all day yesterday eating Chinese food and watching Christmas Story over and over. :)

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so great! What a precious gift.

My favorite gift was spending the day with my family, doing nothing but hanging out. And seeing my dog sleep all day long on her new dog bed.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

What a special gift. I'm guessing the house socks you knit won't be acrylic. My favorite gift: a really horrible weird painting of a baby from 1935 and my new Joy wheel.

10:48 AM  
Blogger theatreknitter said...

My favorite gift sounds a bit superficial, though very knitting related. I got a bag from the Nantucket Bag company, it is SOOO cool. My Dad and Step-mom found it at the Big E, it is great. Lots of pockets for storing needles and Yarn. I also got hte opportunity to play a KICK BUTT game of scrabble with family. It was great.

10:15 PM  
Blogger theatreknitter said...

Of course, my favorite gift of all was seeing little miss Lorelai (Nutmegknitter's little one) She is an angel.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home